Thruster Parts (Australia)

Captain Beaver

1 minute ago, jackc said:

Funny you should mention that Nev, I asked my CFI about premix for my 582  a few weeks ago and he said that to store it premixed.  Now, I remember Yamaha was very specific about stale fuel causing holed pistons in outboards, but these were not premix fuel motors.  I have ordered a new crate premix 582 engine to put in my Thruster, not because the old one is cactus but to simply have reliable as possible.

You only need to click the. Bowl clips off the 582 and drain them into a bucket. Empty carbs can't gum up.  Sometimes I have used outboard fuel 6  months old and it smells and looks fresh. I only buy 95 Ron. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Been involved with tuning MX bikes etc since the 70's and my youngest is still at extreme enduro.  All the recommendations are to mix fresh fuel where it's not done with a pump.  There are fuel stabilisers for lawnmowers etc but I have no idea whether that affects the octane rating.  IF you want confusion and BS visit oil OPINION sites. It's another world if you aren't choosy where you go. Good 2 stroke oils don't lower octane rating. Ordinary engine oils DO.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Different subject. I have an icom a20  radio that is receiving but not transmitting.  Is it worth getting repaired or better just to get another radio. Is there anyone that repairs radios any more. 

23 hours ago, facthunter said:

Been involved with tuning MX bikes etc since the 70's and my youngest is still at extreme enduro.  All the recommendations are to mix fresh fuel where it's not done with a pump.  There are fuel stabilisers for lawnmowers etc but I have no idea whether that affects the octane rating.  IF you want confusion and BS visit oil OPINION sites. It's another world if you aren't choosy where you go. Good 2 stroke oils don't lower octane rating. Ordinary engine oils DO.  Nev

My experience with outboards using 6  month old premix has not been a problem. They are pretty touchy with detonation so the octane must be okay or I would be blowing pistons. I probably shouldn't be comparing my experiences to aircraft though. If a boat breaks down you get a tow in. Bit harder in the air.

• Like 1

TCW-3 is for water cooled outboards  and is NOT  suitable for the Rotax engines. In fact It's NOT recommended for the 582 eve though they are watercooled.  Piston running  temps are the decider. Outboards tend to be overcooled. TCW-3 spec is an environmental oil.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

34 minutes ago, facthunter said:

TCW-3 is for water cooled outboards  and is NOT  suitable for the Rotax engines. In fact It's NOT recommended for the 582 eve though they are watercooled.  Piston running  temps are the decider. Outboards tend to be overcooled. TCW-3 spec is an environmental oil.. Nev

Edited by BrendAn

Please don't read things into what I say. I'm ready to answer for what I write.  YOU brought up the outboard issue but it's not comparable because outboards are overcooled and need a lower performing oil to be legal in some waterways. THAT oil may be great for helping fuel to stay useable. It's not a good idea to be saying mixed fuel is OK to be kept a while and be used safely in aircraft.. Nev

• Like 1

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

Please don't read things into what I say. I'm ready to answer for what I write.  YOU brought up the outboard issue but it's not comparable because outboards are overcooled and need a lower performing oil to be legal in some waterways. THAT oil may be great for helping fuel to stay useable. It's not a good idea to be saying mixed fuel is OK to be kept a while and be used safely in aircraft.. Nev

It's ok. Just wish I had stf up and said nothing. Trying to delete all my posts but it takes ages with this format. From now on I will observe and not comment. Safer that way.

50 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

It's ok. Just wish I had stf up and said nothing. Trying to delete all my posts but it takes ages with this format. From now on I will observe and not comment. Safer that way.

Please keep in it. We need some too and fro to keep it interesting.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, BrendAn said:

Annoys me...this stuff! Who here has fully stripped and reassembled a 582? I have. I have flown aircraft with 2-stroke power almost exclusively (except for my 550hrs on VW). This was with Fuji Robin EC 44-PM and 582, 447 and 503. Always with pre-mix and often with fuel which has sat in the tanks since last fuelled. Never had problems with starting or detonation. This is with pump 91 RON from any convenient tankage.  

On the topic of 2-stroke oil and metering pump, I bought an engine that had done 350 hrs (I'm told) running on the "sacred" green slime. The pistons were heavily oiled up, particularly on the exhaust port side to the extent that the rings were jammed into the ring lands. Over oiling was my conclusion. IMHO stick with premix at the recommended 50-1 on Castrol Activ 2-t. 

Rotax, unlike hotted up trail bike engines are not high performance and certainly not prime-donnas.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Green slime was removed from the market after a court case. It was difficult to mix and the probable cause of the rings jamming is carbon formation. Jamming rings is  serious in two strokes as they break and often come out the port and make a BIG mess.

. There's no need for deletion of anything..It's only a discussion of different views and nothing personal has happened. .I still say you can't be too careful with fuel. Better to be sure than sorry.. 2 strokes are DIFFERENT  I've seen plenty of holes in Pistons and damaged ports. 2 strokes are a rarity these days. The only way to know what fuel you have is to mix it yourself.  The more you know and the more careful you are they better they will go..Nev

On 03/01/2022 at 3:39 PM, spacesailor said:

All very well ! , using ' premix '.

But 

If rotax put a pump fot that oil , do we have to remove said pump, 

Or

Run the pump without its lubricating oil ?.

spacesailor

No. Oil injection pumps will seize without oil. 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/12/21 at 6:23 PM, BrendAn said:

There are lots of people interested  but instructors are getting rarer. Thankfully there a still  a few around that you told me about today. But what about in another 5 years.

I’m going to do my RA instructor rating and would love to do ratings in thrusters!!

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

On 13/12/21 at 8:24 PM, Thruster88 said:

Whent for a nice fly in the RV yesterday and found another thruster that needs a good home....... not sure what the big hole is about🤔.

Resized_20211212_093434_7188.jpeg

Hi mate we’re abouts is this one at??? And for sale?