Quick disconnect fuel fittings in 3/8"

I was told well over 40 years ago by a well-informed person who had spent some considerable time in the U.S., that every factory in the U.S. was either set up for manufacturing in metric, or could convert to metric at the drop of a hat.

But the U.S. Govt refused to convert the entire country to metric, stating that to do so, would not only cause widespread confusion amongst the general population - but that the impost of converting to metric, for small "Mom and Pop" businesses, was more than they could stand. The Govt claimed there would be enormous and unacceptable waste, as all imperial measuring equipment would have to be discarded and everything from signage to containers would have to be replaced.

The simple fact is, the vast majority of large U.S. businesses today already manufacture in metric, because it integrates with computerisation so much easier. And their containers are quite often labelled with metric and imperial measurements.

I believe there is simply a large number of Americans who wield substantial political power, who are totally opposed to anything that smells of French origin, and who are 100% resistant to measurement change.

During WW2, Packard altered all the Rolls-Royce Merlin blueprints to decimal inches, from the British fractions, because that was the system that U.S. engineering used in that era, and it worked much better for scaling of blueprints, and for mass production processes.

Even today, decimal inches and decimal feet are still used in American surveying and measuring. It simply eases engineering calculations, and is basically a nod to metric measure.

The French plans for a Cri Cri have both inch and metre dimensions. All inch are decimal.  My lathe has both inch and mm calibration.  I use both but prefer metric.

When my daughter first went to school in Plano TX she was asked how many inches in a mile.  This was an American intelligence test.  They said that she was just an ordinary student not know such basic stuff.  3 years later aged 14 she had completed all high school mathematics and if we had stayed they would have bussed her to a university to continue her maths. She now has a PhD.

I asked her when she used the English system which she preferred.  She just looked at me as though I was stupid..."metric she replied".

I must add that all science is taught in Texas in metric, maybe all of USA but I am not sure.

49 minutes ago, onetrack said:

I believe there is simply a large number of Americans who wield substantial political power, who are totally opposed to anything that smells of French origin, and who are 100% resistant to measurement change.

As stated erlier - I put it down to the nationalistic brain washing they are swamped with from school age onwards. This is much the same for every great power (eg GB who's self delusion has led to Brexit). Its also one of the reasons that the terrific light aircraft offerings from the European counties, struggle to get a foot hold in the US, despite being able to to outperform most of the local (US) derived machines. The few successful ones seem to have had to open factories in the US so that they can claim "made by Uncle Sam"

• Like 1

On 20/09/2021 at 9:09 PM, Marty_d said:

I've been flipping through ads on the internet until my eyes bleed.  I actually have 4x 1/4" quick disconnect fuel fittings, with integral shut-off when disconnected (from Aircraft Spruce) but following the "fuel flow" discussion I think I'm going to stick with 3/8" from tanks to engine.

From everything I've seen there are a lot of 3/8" quick disconnect fittings but none of them have integral shut-off.  This is probably fine in a car where the fuel tank is lower than the engine but doesn't work very well with wing tanks.  Aircraft Spruce only stock the 1/4" ones.

Does anyone know of a supplier who has the 3/8" ones with shut off?  Preferably panel mount but at this stage I'll take what I can get.

Thanks!

I believe 1/4” will be fine. My two wing tanks feed 1/4” to glass filter inlet side ; then 3/8” out of filter to connect to the sav collector tank inlets. It seems the two 3/8” collector inlets were to allow fuel in and and air out back up into the tanks. Your third barb is a good addition. 

• Informative 1

I doubt that there is another "democratic" country in the World, where the accusation "Un American" will send shivers of fear through the recipient/target. This epithet is closely followed by "Communist" - put the two together and you are close to being an American "dead dog". This in a country that still aspires to lead the "free World".

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

Just imagine electing Ronnie Raygun  as President . A "B" grade film star bordering on senile. Nancy probably made most of the decisions for him. Nev

Even worse - every decision he made had to be approved by his personal astrologer.  Literally.  He consulted Joan Quigley before doing anything.

• Informative 1

Says a lot about the general psyche of the American public. They vote in some real doozies. The difference between Reagan & Trump is that Reagan was an idiot and Trump a dangerous idiot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1