part Identification

Lskinner

If it is a control column, the exceptionally simple design and shape, and the fact it's made largely from wood, would seem to indicate it could be more WW1 to early 1930's, rather than 1940's.

Either that, or it's from a very basic, light-weight, kit-build or home-build aircraft of the 1920's and 1930's. 

Thanks for the replies guys.  I received this stick from the estate of a man who was a student pilot at Carlstrom Field in Arcadia, Florida in the early 1940s and then an instructor.  I know he flew, on occasion, a Stearman, and I think wrecked one or two.  This may be from one of those.  Student Pilot, Your guess may be right on.

• Informative 1

It doesn't appear to be a Stearman exactly, but the design is certainly in the right era and range of aircraft type.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-stearman-aircraft-control-1874014531

This one looks to be closer in design - a 1918 Curtiss Jenny Canuck (JN-4C) control stick.

https://www.aviationart.com/products/curtiss-jenny-canuck-original-1918-wwi-wooden-control-stick

Edited by onetrack

It's pretty typical of the period. The metal part is aircraft quality. The wooden shaft could be made on any wood lathe. I'm not saying that one is and it may be completely original. The front  stick in many Tiger moths was wood and often loose in the metal fitting and could be easily removed. Nev

• Like 1

Looks pretty old, seems to have possible attachments for aileron cables? Harvard had wooden removable rear cockpit sticks, but not one of those, metal base fittings are different. Nice item!