Garmin Aera 660 GPS

Looking for opinions on the above GPS please?  I called a vendor today for info and wanted to know IF software could be used to enter ALAs as waypoints, without having to manually enter them directly into the unit? 

I am considering one of these as I can’t justify the more expensive model.  Hoping to just suction cup it to my screen, rather than go through the grief of hard mounting it and needing approval for a 25 rego aircraft.

A tablet with ozrunways or avplan would be better a solution. Flight plan, navigation and always current documents so you can pass a ramp check.

Resized_20200811_161456_9559.jpg

Edited by Thruster88
  • Agree 1

A free option is Airmate. It has all the same flight planning & maps as Ozrunways & Avplan & the latest Maps, Notams, Airstrip plates, weather etc. Easy to use & runs on any Android or IOS device. I have it on my phone, Android tablet & Desktop PC.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Avplan and Oz Runways are a good way to go and I used to use Avplan. There are drawbacks though. The screen can be hard to see in a plane with a nice big canopy and also there can be problems with overheating. In my RV4 I had to relocate the iPad to a location where it was out of direct sunlight and even then angle it so that the reflections were reduced. Probably not a problem in a wide cockpit, but a single or tandem seat is harder to deal with. In my Corby the iPa is useless, there just isn't enough room to have it working and be able to see it.

• Informative 1

I have an iPad and Avplan which has a lot of stuff, I don’t think I will be able to come to grips with staring at it while flying as screen has a lot of stuff.

Downloaded Airmate as suggested and it may do all I need?  Still will get the Aera as I am an electronics geek, my hand held radio has VOR (might be handy) and ILS…..doubt I will ever need to go there 🙂 

I use avplan on an apple mini. It occasionally overheats and shuts down for a few minutes. I have a thigh mount for it which keeps it below the panel and out of direct sunlight. I also have the aera GPS in the panel as a fall back when the pad looses interest. The great thing about avplan is it gives instant access to everything you will need and as a backup i can print the route maps directly from the pad if needed.

• 3 months later...

I have a Garmin  aera 660 as my panel mounted GPS. Used to have a  Garmin 596 and this is way better. Just love the simplicity.

Is it over priced? Yes probably, and it doesn't do much your EFB can't.. 

But as a backup its great.  My airspeed indicator  and AH just died and I completed my flight  using the Ground Speed and AH  on the 660 panel..

Alan

• Like 1