Bad Ju Ju…..

jackc

So I had possibly intended to fly today, had to go out to where my plane is and do some paperwork on it, get condition report, take radio/intercom out and check it all over before use.

Last night a very good friend msgs me and says, ‘please don’t crash your plane tomorrow, as I don’t want to lose my best friend’

I slept on that a bit upset and duly drove the 80km out to the airstrip this morning..   Whilst it may have just been an ad hoc  fly around the block….

I said to myself NO……….not going anywhere in any plane today……I just had bad vibes.  So I obeyed my inner self and did not do it.

IF for some reason what ever it is, YOU don’t feel like flying…….THEN don’t.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

What winds did you have down there; we had crap NW and same tomorrow so I'm planed to fly Tuesday arvo as pleasant winds for low level local flying.  NW is crap as it spills over miles and miles of hills so just rotor stuff constantly.  Not the enjoyable stuff.

4 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

What winds did you have down there; we had crap NW and same tomorrow so I'm planed to fly Tuesday arvo as pleasant winds for low level local flying.  NW is crap as it spills over miles and miles of hills so just rotor stuff constantly.  Not the enjoyable stuff.

Been a hot day, to be worse tomorrow.  Wind very light SE  most of the day in the local area.

Would have been good for running some hours up…..

That’s one of the things I love about recreation flying, you fly exactly when where how…(within the rules of course🥸), you want to. Flying for a living is a great career, but there are times, when you don’t want to…but have to. That’s when flying can become a job, rather than a passion. I am lucky that most times I enjoyed myself. But it was great when I got back into flying for fun, and bought the Gazelle. Because I got all that old schoolboy enthusiasm back, when as a young kid, just being at an airfield was exciting. I did a flight last week Tuesday in the Gazelle YYRM-YLEG, decided to get a flight in before this whole legion of LP troughs and fronts starting marching across Vic…rain for a week. Air was nice and smooth and the countryside is looking fantastic…bright emerald green. Like that one good golf swing, with clean contact, a flight like that, keeps you coming back for more. To hell with the Juju! Normally just before climbing aboard the Gazelle, I will take a quick walk behind the hangar, to get rid of that Juju! 😉     

Everyone has different ways of dealing with bad juju, I won’t even take a motorcycle out for a run IF I don’t feel right…..I have lots of friends once……they threw caution to the wind and they are here no longer for various reasons .  I could get out of bed to morrow and get fired up to fly the Thruster to Longreach?  Why?  because I may feel like it……but today? I did not want to get off the ground higher than a milk crate…..

If you do wake up one morning all fired up to fly your Thruster to Longreach let me know, it would be good to catch up with another Thruster pilot. I was looking at the pictures of your T300 and realized it come from Longreach and belonged to a young bloke I used to work with. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SAJ said:

If you do wake up one morning all fired up to fly your Thruster to Longreach let me know, it would be good to catch up with another Thruster pilot. I was looking at the pictures of your T300 and realized it come from Longreach and belonged to a young bloke I used to work with. 

Interesting, did see in the log that Longreach Aviation did a partial engine strip to decarbonise pistons and ring grooves etc…..did not take close look at entry, not sure IF rings replaced? 

Now you have said that……have to plan a trip, have 68 litre tank 🙂 

I only ever fly when I am feeling like it...I never upset the Ju Ju

One thing Jack though is thermals....start by doing early morning flights...too hot...way too many rough thermals. In summer time down here I plan to be back on the ground no later than 9am...it gets bloody rough after that and its not fun anymore

• Informative 1

While it doesn’t affect my flying, on my travels in outback Australia I have occasionally been given advice about camping places to go, or to avoid,  from local  Aboriginals which is based on the spirits inhabiting various locales. I have great respect for that advice. Some locations are beautiful but downright spooky for no apparent reason. Others are somehow welcoming, I know not why.  I once ignored that advice and ended up leaving as fast as possible next morning, such was the feeling of dread that hung over this otherwise perfect spot.

• Like 1

There's a substantial difference between being spooked by paranormal experiences, and premonitions. Premonitions are more common than generally believed, and some are just "general" premonitions, while others are very specific.

I can recall one story of one woman on a passenger flight becoming distraught upon passenger embarkation, stating that she didn't want to take the flight, because she knew the aircraft would crash.

The flight authorities got heavy handed and forced her on board, and the flight took off as scheduled. The aircraft crashed and there were no survivors. I don't believe it's a good thing to go against feelings of bad vibes for upcoming events.

• Like 1

Only gone against my Ju Ju once……’98 leaving Heathrow in a British Airways 747 to come home…….weather was foul to the  point that I thought they would hold/cancel.  I always booked seat 59A on those trips!  My logic was IF it crashed,  tail section usually breaks off and I may be saved!  Well we took off and the wind was horrible, snow flurries etc.  the plane wallowed into the sky like a lame wing duck, after an eternity.  Here I am thinking, we are too slow to be flying?  Wallow wallow etc……

It took over 60 seconds before the plane started to stabilise…….the longest 60 seconds of my life……..

IF one of the engines even sneezed, I think it could have been over.  Fortunately the rest of the flight was fine.

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

There's a substantial difference between being spooked by paranormal experiences, and premonitions. Premonitions are more common than generally believed…

We mechanically-inclined males rarely notice the gentle nudges of preminition that females tend to.

The only preminition I recall was when I was a kid (perhaps before education had divorced my perceptions from such thiings). I saw a truck approaching half a mile away and instantly developed a feeling of dread, but I didn’t act on it, so my pup got run over. My wife, like many females, is cursed with some sort of affinity for this realm and I take her warnings seriously. 

There is certainly an extra dimension that some people can tap into- whether they want to or not. Thirty years ago, we took our kid to a women who quickly sorted out an undiagnosable malady she exhibited. We were total strangers to that woman, but she took an interest in me and asked about where I slept. At her urging, I drew a quick plan of the house we’d built; she grabbed the pen and added several water pipes exactly where I had buried them deep under the foundations, plus the location of a staticky old radio.

I cannot explain that.

• Informative 1

The message/impulse to check things where I find something wrong  in a most unlikely way is a  sensitivity or something I don't want to be without whether I understand it or not. It's actually quite scary. and you are getting a message ahead of real time. As an example going into Sydney I heard another plane on the radio and I said to the crew . "This Blokes going to get in our way somehow". When I was at about 200ft on final He pulled out across the runway from a taxyway on MY right where the Captain had full view of me. HE was in a B 707 (i think) I was Pic for that leg in an Airbus A300 B4, and I went around missing him by less than 100 feet IF I hadn't been anticipating "something" It would have been another Teneriffe.without exaggeration. Nev

• Like 4
  • Informative 2