Aerial Survey flights

Can’t find a thread on this important use of aeroplanes.

One just flew over me and I looked it up. It appeared on OzRunways, but not Flight Track Radar. (Hopefully one day everyone will show up).

5C495DC5-149E-4EEC-97A2-2C288524E7D8.jpeg

It appears to be a Fletcher (bent wings are best!) modified for survey work.

This link explains what the aircraft does:

https://www.photoblog.com/beeemmjay/2019/12/16/vh-kpy-pacific-aerospace-cresco/

https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000515962.html

Over the years I’ve been fascinated by aerial photos, especially stereos.

I bet every bit of our continent has been photographed or surveyed from the air and I also bet that lots of people in other countries have easy access to the results. 

• Informative 1

I once tried to arrange aerial exploration surveys in India. The answer was that the data and results would be classified and could not leave the country, and the work had to be done by an Indian contractor. At the time they were still using valve based electronics in the instruments and plotting the results by hand.

Another time, in 1986 in Burma, I was working with an elctronics tech named Jeff Darwin. He was the only one who knew how to service the valve instruments in the Burmese survey planes.

Edited by pmccarthy
  • Informative 2

On 05/10/2021 at 10:31 AM, Old Koreelah said:

Can’t find a thread on this important use of aeroplanes.

One just flew over me and I looked it up. It appeared on OzRunways, but not Flight Track Radar. (Hopefully one day everyone will show up).

5C495DC5-149E-4EEC-97A2-2C288524E7D8.jpeg

Great machine for a flying school! Even has a stick at the back so an instructor can ground brief manoeuvres to the student!

• Haha 2

Some of the best flying I ever did was Aerial Survey. Spent a long time doing laps of AUS chasing good weather. It's probably all digital now, but we were using film. You really had no idea if the images turned out alright till weeks, if not months later.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1