PPL path- USA vs Aus, RAAus first, & what not to do

There was some prior flying and there are also US based schools which offer 21 day programs so its not out of reach. The key point is that due to the nature of the program the instructors are very aware of your weaknesses and can tailor the day's program to bolster those skills. Luckily they could offer to instruct 7 days a week. They were very clear up front that there were no guarantees.

One other thing that I did was take a PC, flight sim, large monitor and the peripherals with me to practice during the off hours. This was mostly to effect consistency of the mechanics rather than polishing techniques. I don't find the experience in a flight simulator translates particularly well however aspects of it help.

As has been pointed out there are weaknesses with the approach but on balance I did start out on the other pathway and it wasn't working for me.

One other benefit is the completion rate. Even if you don't get through, you're 95% of the way there, it's much easier to finish.

I'd really like to know how many people do a few lessons and then give up after life gets in the way, there could be twice the number of people flying if these completion rates were better.

Edited by Ian

On 20/10/2021 at 8:59 PM, APenNameAndThatA said:

I might be wrong, but I thought that an RPL with endorsements and a medical would be enough to fly with three passengers? 

My two bob is as follows. Starting RAAus is cheaper. Starting in a VH aircraft can give you more time in type, which will be safer. If you have the extra training for the PPL, it will be safer.

GA aircraft have a fatal accident once in 100 000 hours. Fifty hours a year gives a risk of death of 1 in 2000. That is the annual death rate for kids in Australia. (1 in 1000 per year for adults.) So, I would not transport my family in a GA aircraft, especially if I had less than 400 hours. Below 200 hours, pilots are *much* more dangerous. 

Disclaimer: I have 150 hrs, and have flown my kids one at a time, from a familiar class D (controlled-ish) aerodrome.   

Yep, RPL, class 2 medical (or greater) and Controlled Airspace, controlled aerodrome and navigation endorsements, you can fly day VFR with a full plane up to 1500kgs mtow. You can also obtain flight activity endorsements such as formation. Aero's I have not looked into for RPL, but design features such as MPPC and RG are also available. RATINGS (NVFR, IFR etc) are not available to RPL holders

On 20/10/2021 at 8:59 PM, APenNameAndThatA said:

I might be wrong, but I thought that an RPL with endorsements and a medical would be enough to fly with three passengers? 

My two bob is as follows. Starting RAAus is cheaper. Starting in a VH aircraft can give you more time in type, which will be safer. If you have the extra training for the PPL, it will be safer.

GA aircraft have a fatal accident once in 100 000 hours. Fifty hours a year gives a risk of death of 1 in 2000. That is the annual death rate for kids in Australia. (1 in 1000 per year for adults.) So, I would not transport my family in a GA aircraft, especially if I had less than 400 hours. Below 200 hours, pilots are *much* more dangerous. 

Disclaimer: I have 150 hrs, and have flown my kids one at a time, from a familiar class D (controlled-ish) aerodrome.   

Yep, RPL, class 2 medical (or greater) and Controlled Airspace, controlled aerodrome and navigation endorsements, you can fly day VFR with a full plane up to 1500kgs mtow. You can also obtain flight activity endorsements such as formation. Aero's I have not looked into for RPL, but design features such as MPPC and RG are also available. RATINGS (NVFR, IFR etc) are not available to RPL holders

Edited by Hongie
Double post please delete

From the CASA website the following endorsements can be added to an RPL. They don't mention retractable gear, centreline thrust etc. If they can be added it might be good to get CASA to update their website.

The following endorsements can be added to an RPL:

• controlled aerodrome endorsement (RPCT)
  • controlled airspace endorsement (RPCA)
  • flight radio endorsement (RPFR - requires an aviation English language proficiency assessment)
  • recreational navigation endorsement (RPNA - requires minimum flight time of five hours solo cross-country.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2021 at 5:19 PM, Ian said:

From the CASA website the following endorsements can be added to an RPL. They don't mention retractable gear, centreline thrust etc. If they can be added it might be good to get CASA to update their website.

The following endorsements can be added to an RPL:

• controlled aerodrome endorsement (RPCT)
  • controlled airspace endorsement (RPCA)
  • flight radio endorsement (RPFR - requires an aviation English language proficiency assessment)
  • recreational navigation endorsement (RPNA - requires minimum flight time of five hours solo cross-country.

yes, actually, not sure about RG now that you mention it

• 3 weeks later...

It's definitely cheaper in USA. I received PPL over about 70 hours and around 3 months in USA a few years back. Coming to Oz and RAA has its differences. As mentioned the aircraft are light weight with different handling. Regs are a little different. Radio calls a little different (pattern in USA is circuit in OZ as example). To do over I'd go RAA Oz first. Well, I'd fly gliders first to learn how to fly in either country.