CPL demographics

NT5224

Hi folks

Yesterday I dropped into the CASA  pre-wet season seminar in Darwin.  I thought it was quite useful and instructive although not all of the four or five presentations were of equal quality. I believe it was filmed and will be posted on YT.

It was my  fourth year attending (prior to that I was overseas).

The presentations had an  industry focus and were aimed at new charter pilots 

experiencing their first wet rather than private flyers.  Lots of pilots assembled and many had obviously  come in from the scrub ( together with their operations). I didn't recognise a single other aircraft owner/operator attending.

But what caught my attention was the ages of the young pilots. Maybe I'm getting old (I am!) but some looked very young indeed. Like REALLY young....

I noticed higher proportion of  young female pilots than in previous years -which is very encouraging, but it was the  extremely youthful appearance of  some of their male counterparts that surprised me.

How young can you hold a CPL?  Assuming RPL at 17, PPL at 18 and a VET course leading to CPL could you be flying commercial at 20?

Hope I'm not being politically incorrect or 'ageist' here: My old Dad overflew Germany in a Mosquito aged 20, but times change and the attendees yesterday genuinely  surprised me.

Cheers

Alan 

Edited by NT5224

You know you're getting old when all the police and all the pilots look so young! The average age of RAF fighter pilots in 1940 was just 20. That's the average age, so that means a lot were well under 20.

Young people are chosen for these jobs because of their keen eyesight and hearing, their quick reflexes - and with young males, bravado that is often indistinguishable from foolhardiness.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1