SE QLD Short Term Hanger

I am flying my Jabiru J230C from Geraldton, WA to SE QLD around mid December. The plan is then to ship or fly it to NZ in the first couple of months of 2022. I will be based in the Sunshine Coast area, however will consider out to Kingaroy, Hervey Bay, Bundaberg, Heck Field or places in between. Please message me if you know of anything.

I can see a couple of hurdles for you. 

We won't let you into Queensland because you won't let Queensland into WA (not your fault I know) hopefully the borders will have opened by then.

Then, regarding flight to New Zealand, we have had a couple of people from our airfield try, and it has been a disaster.

You will not get permission if you are RA-Aus EVER, and if you are VH registered you will only get approval if you are IFR rated and the aircraft also is IFR approved.

The reason is, there are no visual flight references and you must comply with Australian regulations for VFR flight EG a visual fix every 30 minutes.

If you are not Australian registered, like for example you are registered in New Zealand all are USA registered then there is no problems because they don't have the same 30 minute VFR reference. 

Also, you do have the requirement for transoceanic safety equipment, and somebody told me a few months ago you also need to have insurance for something like $10 million to pay for any recovery efforts before Australia will let you leave.

Finally, I am very positive we could find you a hangar space at Heck Field

Edited by FlyBoy1960
  • Informative 1

Thanks FlyBoy. I'm thinking that the plan released last Monday https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/government-actions/queenslands-covid19-vaccine-plan will allow me to come into QLD on 17 December or earlier. There are plenty of hurdles with a plan like this including NZ borders. I appreciate your feedback on the proposed trans-tasman crossing. Lots to research in the meantime. Very happy to hear that there is potential hanger space at Heck especially with the storms you guys are experiencing at the moment.