Destination: El Questro

NT5224

Hi folks. 

My wife wants to go to El Questro in the Kimberly. Anybody here  been?  Is it a good fly in destination with interesting local flights or is it better to drive and have a car locally?

To put this in context we live about two and a half hours flight time door-to -door from Al Questro. A drive would take nearly two days.

Any informed opinions appreciated

Alan 

• Informative 1

I drove there years ago and can thoroughly recommend it. It was not what I expected as a tourist destination, but more like a camping site with good facilities, but easy to keep away from  the madding crowd. Take the boat trip to see the Bradshaws and feed the archer fish.

• Agree 1

I was up there in 2019. We flew in. The strip is reasonable quality dirt of decent length for a PA-32 and within walking distance of the resort  I stayed in the tents (glamping). The food was good and the staff were friendly.

• Informative 1

Hi folks....

Thanks for information on the destination. But you seem to miss the point of my original question. Is it a destination you would choose to fly to? 

Is it the kind of place where you need a car on arrival  to best appreciate it? If you fly in are you effectively stranded at the homestead?

For example if you flew into my place and wanted to go check out the scenery, visit the swimholes and gorges you'd need transport. Yes you could overfly them but its not the same as swimming with the freshies...

So I'd lend you an old ute. But I don't think Al Questro do that. Its a commercial enterprise. Cash only.

So should we fly or take our car  to best appreciate what the resort has to offer?

Cheers 

Alan

49 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

take an amphibian and you have the best off everything !

looks like a very nice place to visit however

Please lend me your Sea Rey and arrange for my web feet endorsement Flyboy...I'll gladly accept your advice.

Alan 🤣

Things change! While airports and strips slowly deteriorate resorts can, under Covid and the economy, change rapidly.

The airstrip is OK, but for anything else you will have up to date info if you call the resort or check out their website or a grey nomad site.

Look up youtube and type in "Trip in a van"

They are travelling around Australia in a van and they did a blog in El Questro when they were there a couple of weeks ago.

might give you a bit of information,

cheer's