Yarra Valley incident

The pilot did a very good job to get into a small field from low altitude while keeping control of the aircraft. The field looks rough enough to damage an under carriage regardless of technique. I hope it was not one of our forum members who recently bought an sp500.

Since it is safety month I wonder how the investigation might proceed and will anything change as a result.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

The pilot did a very good job to get into a small field from low altitude while keeping control of the aircraft. The field looks rough enough to damage an under carriage regardless of technique. I hope it was not one of our forum members who recently bought an sp500.

Since it is safety month I wonder how the investigation might proceed and will anything change as a result.  

Regardless of what actually happened, there's an opportunity for RAA to offer a skills exercise by going through step by step the procedure for landing on a substantial upslope - more or less formalising what has been discussed here.

• Like 1

Assume the slope is say 25  degrees. I'm sure the plane will have enough elevator to loop but then you have power on. The flare is the first part of a loop BUT the judgement especially under forced landing conditions is very critical. Once the speed drops the elevator will lose effectiveness. I suggested 15 kts earlier but that may not be enough. The flare will have to be very positive and deliberate to pull it off. . There are safe ways to practice at a SAFE height where you have power available to correct things and IF you are pretty familiar with the feel of your plane you'll be able to simulate the control and flight  trajectory.. You may stall with quite a bit of rearward stick.  IF you aren't up to it get someone with you who is.  It IS something you will most likely NEVER have to do BUT you may only have a sloped field available and landing downslope is a no no. The good bit is you won't need much length as it will pull up quickly. Nev

Luckily, I've never had to do a dead-stick onto a steep slope : my experience has always been with all engines running, although sometimes with near gross load,(MTOW). I reckon the pilot concerned did a pretty good job.

Any slope over 5% is going to require a fair change in technique.  We were taught to make sure we turned final at a set altitude, and to fly the approach with sufficient flap to allow us to have some reserve power for the inevitable sink on very short final, as well as to carry the aircraft forward above Vso as eyes were raised to the top end of the strip. I usually added power in the flare so as to not hit the slope too hard if I misjudged things.  Some pilots added 5-10 kts to their Vref but this was more useful on the really steep ones, eg, over 14-15%. 

The early C206 had inadequate elevator command, and several were bingled on steep strips. Later models were improved. The C185s that I was primarily using were great for the shorter strips, (60 KIAS on final), but on the steeper slopes it tok quite a change in attitude to get them to 3 point. We usually 3 pointed in case of soft surface.  I can't remember ever operating on anything over 17%, (commercial PNG ops had a few more restrictions than the Missionaries, MAF and private operators). Some of their strips we used to fly past and marvel at how they ever managed. One Missionary pilot of legend, said it was doubly hard for him, as a priest, because he flew one handed while rubbing his crucifix with the other!!  When I began to route & strip endorse, it required a leap of faith to sit there while a newbie came down final. Quite often, turning final was often your decision point.  

PNG - Ompkali, 14%, closed in 70's.jpg

• Like 2