Time to stop Daydreaming

Guest DAYDREAMER

Guest DAYDREAMER

Hi Guys,

Like many newcomers to this Forum, I've spent many hours reading other peoples posts before taking the plunge to post one and introduce myself. Firstly, I'm a farmer from Sth NSW (Lockhart area) that was bitten by the flying bug a few years back after going on a TIF with Lisa Ruffles at the Eagle School of Microlighting at Bright and have been again with husband Steve. That's it I said, I'm buying one one of those after harvest. Well 3 yrs and 2 terrible droughts later, I'm still dreaming. Having flown with a mate up to Natfly 08 in his Foxbat(the blue one in the Natfly pictorial), I'm now in two minds in which way to head re my dream of flying and what to buy , will it suit my needs etc, hence my pursuit of all the information I can gather by reading the various forums, magazines etc. Hopefully after this harvest if all the stars align the right way, my dream may turn to reality.

Cheers, Neil

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif to the forums Neil. There will be no end of suggestions for you from the many people with a wealth of experience here.

I'm flying a Jabiru UL-D out of Innisfail in FNQ. It has the longer wings, smaller body configuration and in my limited experience performs very well. I haven't been on any cross country flights to date, but even around the training area we cruise anywhere between 85-95 kts.

I also had the opportunity to fly in a Skyranger on the Gold Coast in January. It's a little more ungainly than the Jabiru - but for some reason it really appeals to me as a simple, functional and capable aircraft that looks quite simple to build yourself.

That's just scratching the surface - enjoy your dreaming :).

Regards, Mathew

I'm a farmer from Sth NSW (Lockhart area) Cheers, Neil

G'day Neil,

Nice to have another local on the forums. I'm near Kapooka.

What side of Lockhart are you, and I'll overfly your joint .... then seed the clouds for you. Will be over that way on Friday morning early

Just a couple of thoughts, as we have all been thru the evaluation and decision stage that you are now.

As well as budget, have a think about what you really want to do with th aircraft (however I reckon the 1st decision is what turns you on - 3 axis or weight shift aircraft):

EG - Low and slow (to count the cattle and sheep etc), Touring, local flying etc, as these days you can buy a new J120 Jabiru for not that much more (if you have a good season) than a 912 Microlight. The J120 goes about twice the cruise speed and as you get BIG thermals out your way in summer, would be less of a handful if you want to fly on hot dry days.

The preferences are such a personal thing that everyone needs to go with what is best for them within their budget.

No matter what you get you'll be recognisable in the main street by the grin on your face.

Now .... just jump in to the discussions on these forums and have fun.

Regards Geoff

Guest DAYDREAMER

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply.My place is on the southern side of the Galore Hill(a great landmark for aviators), about 2 km. My neighbour to the SE has a strip for his C172, if you'd like to call in,you'll see his windsock in the NE corner of the paddock where his strip is.

I take your point re attributes of the Jab and such as opposed to weightshift and if money wasn't the issue I'd probably buy a Foxbat, simply because of its visibility and STOL attributes, amongst other things, although all the modern day ultralights are probably very good.

I can be contacted on 0427 365001 if you're flying by.

Cheers, Neil

Hi Geoff, ..........if money wasn't the issue I'd probably buy a Foxbat, simply because of its visibility and STOL attributes, amongst other things...........Cheers, Neil

That is exactly the conclusion that I came to. Even ordered the Foxbat. Then did the sums and purchased a Skyranger with which I can do 95% of what I would have done with the Foxbat and even at today's prices $40,000 buys a whale of a lot of unleaded.

PM me if you want more info on my machine.

Davidh