Flying into Broome?

NT5224

Hi folks I've got a week off and we've been discussing flight across to Broome.

What's the deal there? Do you fly into Broome itself or is there a smaller strip or club  nearby with no or lower landing fees and parking fees,  without CTA?

Cheers 

Alan

Alan, there's nothing within even modest reach of Broome as regards clubs or airstrips - however, Roebuck Plains Station has an airstrip, and it's located about 40kms from town, and if they give you permission to land there, you could get a lift or a taxi into town O.K. The airstrip is pretty rudimentary, and certainly not all-weather, so if it rains while you're there, you'll have an extended stay until things dry out. 

Remember, we're heading into the "Wet" season now, and big storms and severe weather events can appear very quickly this time of year.

I'm not sure how friendly the Roebuck operation is, the station has been owned since 1999 by a local Indigenous Corporation - specifically, the Indigenous Land and Sea Corporation. I guess you can only try contacting the manager at Roebuck Plains to see if they're amenable to private aircraft operators using their strip.

https://rs.locationshub.com/Home/LocationDetail?rsLocationId=084-10100117

http://www.yawuru.org.au/prosperity/roebuck-plains-station/?doing_wp_cron=1636598796.8950569629669189453125

Edited by onetrack

Thanks onetrack. 

That's useful info, although I'm guessing a 160km taxi charge might exceed costs associated with flying into Broome itself! 

The wet season conditions on the ground aren't an issue ...only  very deep puddles that could swing my aircraft round on my short take-off roll. I run  on  29 inch balloon tyres at 5 pounds/inch.

Alan 

• Informative 1

21 hours ago, NT5224 said:

Thanks onetrack. 

That's useful info, although I'm guessing a 160km taxi charge might exceed costs associated with flying into Broome itself! 

The wet season conditions on the ground aren't an issue ...only  very deep puddles that could swing my aircraft round on my short take-off roll. I run  on  29 inch balloon tyres at 5 pounds/inch.

Alan 

5 PSI is remarkable. four wheel drives do sand at 14 PSI. How do you measure the pressure? 

41 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

5 PSI is remarkable. four wheel drives do sand at 14 PSI. How do you measure the pressure? 

Measure pressure with a gauge on my hose. Balloon tyres are designed to be run at very low pressures. 4WD tyres would probably  come off the rim, obviously..