Affordable flying?

Recently bought an electric pole saw - fantastic thing, only has 30 mins of run time per battery, but with electric, that's 30 mins of actual cutting time, which actually is a decent amount.

Uses the same battery as the electric mower 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Well an electric saw will shut down faster I hope...  Mainly I hope to never find out what it feels like to fall from a tree with a running chainsaw.

You've got that choice.

The arborists are switching to elevating platforms. That way you are always above the tree and can fell a big tree in pieces small enough that they can drop straight down. If the limb jambs, you're above the potential accident. If the whole trunk of whole limb might spin or kick you can cut that off at the pass by lopping the out of balance limbs etc. Got a lot going for it.

Next is buy yourself a harness if you have to get up a tree, and use a step ladder. I did that; first day it took me twenty minutes to work out which straps to put where, but you can get up a ladder as fast as you want to climb. Don't tell anyone this but my first day with the harness I was up about 5 metres in a big pepper corn tree, reached out and cut a limb  which sprang and swiped the ladder along my limb sideways leaving me hanging in space. When the harness locks you can't overcme the locking forece unless you know the magic action, which was in the manual at the bottom of the tree. For a while I though I was going to face the fireys, but with a superhuman effort reached a toe out and flicked the ladder back along the branch. Broken leg without the harness though.

I often have to force mysef to think and cut, think and cut to avoid kick back and cutting a knee cap off. There are some good manuals which explain how to keep clear of potential trouble.

I did try a plastic fantastic battery chainsaw, 

But the fist time it hit a knotty hard bit a plastic gear stripped.

To buy a replacement gear here was over two thirds the price of the chainsaw.

I begged people going to Oshkosh to buy it from a local ( huge  ) store.

No taker,s, & l don,t blame them, even if a shopping trip could be entertaining . LoL

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Missed word
  • Like 1

I once watched in awe as these tree feller guys cut down a big tree near us...  the main guy climbed the tree then they roped limbs with the rope going up n over. He then chainsawed the limb off and they lowered it to the ground.

My main problem with these guys is their cost...  thousands of dollars!

You often get the smell of Ozone from your lekky motor. Few people these days are hooked on Infernal Combustion engines of the noisy and shaky  kind,, IF you are hooked you're hooked like all  serious addictions, it's incurable. Nev

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tillmanr said:

And what’s the carbon footprint of charging the battery chainsaw?

We have an aeg 58 volt mower ,trimmer and chainsaw . They work good but  1 battery has failed and the other is not healthy. $340 each and only lasted 2 years . I could have mowed our lawn for years with $340 worth of petrol.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

26 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

We have an aeg 58 volt mower ,trimmer and chainsaw . They work good but  1 battery has failed and the other is not healthy. $340 each and only lasted 2 years . I could have mowed our lawn for years with $340 worth of petrol.

Like I said EP is for fairies, power to the people with fuel!😂👍

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 6:01 AM, Thruster88 said:

n this area Parkes, Forbes and Cowra aero clubs all offer training for around $130 + instructor. We are just looking to cover all costs. Join a club. 

Find that hard to believe !

Hope it's true.

no chance in Vic

• Agree 1

I believe that a more competency based training/checking  system for those converting to RA from PPL (& beyond) would see more take up that level of driving planes, the current 5 hrs is an insult to most experienced drivers!

Edited by Flightrite
  • Agree 1

I started my conversion in a Gazelle at Skyfox in Caloundra. Easy as pie to fly. I did 3 hours with an instructor then & another 2 1/2 solo but didn't get round to the flight test. Then I spent 4 years building my plane & had to do the whole lot again in a Jabiru 170 at Coffs. The Jab was not as easy to land but a couple of circuits & I was OK. Then about 3 hours going round in circles & flight test. The whole thing is designed to cost you money for F all.

Even after a few years with little flying, it only takes a few circuits to get everything right so it should just be like a BFR I reckon. A circuit or 2 with an Instructor then some solo where you can practice whatever you like & then book for a BFR/Flight check. If you are already GA current then just a circuit or 2 with an instructor & then the BFR/Flight check should be sufficient.

• Agree 2

It's an unusual person that can't learn something in 4 hours of dual (with the right Instructor) plenty of engine fail experiences (simulated). You include the Pax carry as well  in the 5 hours. Balance and emergencies and pax briefings.  It's supposed to be competency orientated so theoretically it COULD just be a fairly short check in SOME cases. IF it was a tailwheel endorsement on anything touchy you might not be "polished" at even 5 hours total but if you are half a pilot at least you should be safe because you will fly to your skill level. Nev

• Agree 1

And then you get the flying schools who will milk you for many hours not needed.

IF you can’t make it in a reasonable number of hours, you are not destined to be a pilot……

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, tillmanr said:

And what’s the carbon footprint of charging the battery chainsaw?

Yeah, I listened to this laughable little report on the ABC, that oh so virtuous propaganda machine of the left, describing a lovely little scene of all these virtuous people re charging their “unaffordable by most” Teslas at all these charging stations between Sydney and Melbourne, you could almost see the dreadlocks blowing in the wind and the barefoot girls in see-through cheesecloth dresses making daisy chains, along the highway verges, whilst out of sight over the horizon, the still standing wind farms and struggling solar panel farms hopelessly overloaded, were saved by a churning ever reliable and all weather coal fired power station, charging all these hundreds of EV’s and wrapping our happy flower children in a comfortable blanket of virtuosity, whilst they championed the satanic evils of coal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Barnaby “voice”! No, but to me, Matt Canaan talks some sense…especially when China puts out in 16 days what we do in a year…..like Jo Brandon says “common maaan”!