Drifter accident Woodgate Beach 27/11/2021.

The owner/pilot main injury was a gash to the right leg from a bracket on the tube. His son escaped injury. Told me he had no response on controls except ailerons straight after a heavy and slightly faster touchdown (touch n go). The Drifter continued to roll to the right straight after liftoff and the starboard wing hit the beach first. Looking at possible failure of fuselage tube before the impact.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, Methusala said:

Earlier Drifters (Maxair I think) Had a weakness below the engine support strut. Casper could know more.

If that's me I can only add a little as I only looked after 1 drifter and spoke to Wayne F on what to look for and care for when he delivered it remanufactured/overhauled to this back in the 90s

The maxair and austflight drifters do not have a weakness as such at the engine mount to fuse tube BUT that is a stress point AND a corrosion point.  

The folded metal floor is rivetted to the fuse tube along the tube length and Wayne was clear that the thing to watch was any streaking from a fretting rivet from stressing in that area.  That was the point where you needed to unrivet the sides to inspect the tube for stress cracking which you couldn't see with the sides on.  From Wayne the issue was that once a rivet started fretting it was a moisture trap for corrosion in an are where cracks from rivet holes were at a high stress point along the tube. 

Never had to strip one down because there was never a need whilst I was working on the maintenance or instructing in it. 

The Drifters up till the early 1990's had a hole in the top of the boom tube directly under the rear upright, the electrical wires from the engine ran inside the boom tube and exited behind the instrument panel. The hole in the top of the boom is the week point. In the 503 Drifter you can see the boom through the inspection holes under the pan. In the 582 they don't have the inspection holes, the underpan support for the upright brace tube are in the way.

I believe 25-413 is a converted 503

Edited by Kiwi

I was of the understanding that one of the Clifton Drifters was a converted 503, but I've been wrong before. ( just ask my wife) Trevor will know.

Edited by Kiwi

Maybe....

Boom breaks at engine down tube, elevator jammed, prop cuts through boom, aircraft goes up on nose then back down again creating second bend at the prop strike.