6 years ago we lost Maj Millard

alf jessup

Hello fellow flyers,

6 years ago today we lost Ross Millard (AKA Maj Millard) in a preventable accident, thoughts are with Deb & Kelly on this day in time as is every year past on this day.

Blue sky’s and tailwinds Maj

Alf.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, alf jessup said:

Hello fellow flyers,

6 years ago today we lost Ross Millard (AKA Maj Millard) in a preventable accident, thoughts are with Deb & Kelly on this day in time as is every year past on this day.

Blue sky’s and tailwinds Maj

Alf.

Such a shame, he was a top bloke!

20 minutes ago, derekliston said:

Such a shame, he was a top bloke!

That he was derekliston, had the pleasure of meeting him once in person in 2013 whilst on a campervan road trip from Cairns to Brisbane.

Had many a phone conversation with him though over the years.

I didn't know him well, but had a long chat with him at The Old Station fly in. He greeted me and treated me as a long lost brother. He knew quite a bit about my Nynja build even though we had never met before that. That seemed to be the kind of guy he was, interested, caring and personable.

I was a bit shaken when I heard of his death in what seemed like a preventable crash. If it could happen to someone as experienced as Ross, what about me?

RIP Maj. Blue skies and tailwinds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, cscotthendry said:

He greeted me and treated me as a long lost brother…

That resonates with me, CS. On arrival at Termora one year he and Don Windsor came running over as my plane stopped. I’ve never felt so welcomed. I remember the boy every tiem I scan my panel; he sold me my fuel flow and pressure gauges, which are still doing their job many years later. 

• Like 1

This sad reminder of how even an experienced pilot can make a poor decision, and essentially ignore the basics of engine failure, is probably a good time to re-read the coroners report, and to revisit and practise your immediate and automatic response to any engine power reduction.

The crucial factor in Ross' crash appears to be the fact that a partial engine failure, is often not treated as a full EFATO, and the experienced pilot still thinks that he has enough power to carry out a turnback.

I can recall at least one other fairly recent crash where an identical series of events happened - partial engine failure making the pilot think he can still carry out a successful turnback.

https://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/578010/nif-millard-r-20180723.pdf

• Like 3