Rotax bits

skippydiesel

Hi all -With reference to Rotax 9 series engines

I am looking for the two "clips" (similar to spade connectors) that attach to the cylinder head temperature sensors, wire  back to the gauge.

• Correct name/description?
  • Where to purchase ?
  • If you have two unused ones ? (sell/give to me ?)
  • Any other suggestion (yes I could get them from Floods @ $$$$)

Hi Skippy, I'm pretty sure mine.....supplied already fitted to the Savannah wiring loom...are exactly what you said: ordinary spade connectors (just not the soft brass ones the DIY outlets sell). The top of the temp sensor is a disk on a short stem, much like the head of a tack. And the connector is pushed on from the side. I would think any auto electrician would be able to supply them. See bottom right of this pic, with brown wire attached.
I am guessing that the top face of the 'tack' is dished or recessed, and the two dark cuts you can see on these particular spades are where the spade is sprung down into this recess, to prevent it working loose. Whatever you are able to purchase may require simple doctoring....a dimple or some such...to achieve the same effect.

DSCF2404.JPG

Edited by IBob

20 minutes ago, IBob said:

Hi Skippy, I'm pretty sure mine.....supplied already fitted to the Savannah wiring loom...are exactly what you said: ordinary spade connectors (just not the soft brass ones the DIY outlets sell). The top of the temp sensor is a disk on a short stem, much like the head of a tack. And the connector is pushed on from the side. I would think any auto electrician would be able to supply them. See bottom right of this pic, with brown wire attached.
I am guessing that the top face of the 'tack' is dished or recessed, and the two dark cuts you can see on these particular spades are where the spade is sprung down into this recess, to prevent it working loose. Whatever you are able to purchase may require simple doctoring....a dimple or some such...to achieve the same effect.

DSCF2404.JPG

Thanks IBon - that was my first impression & still a possible, solution.

I looked at another 912  install and although they still look very much like a female spade connector, they had a small clip to resist coming off and slightly wider "jaws" (accommodate a thicker male) than standard spades. (All a tad  suggestive !!!!!).

Flood not able to help with supply and correct name.

This is a brand new engine so will use the right stuff if possible

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

mmm, unapproved oil lines !

yep, definitely walking on the wild side, FlyBoy.

I've been known to ride a bicycle without a helmet too!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IBob said:

DSCF2404.JPG

Hi Ibob Will the clear plastic cover rollover and fit up to cover the spade so the slot goes around the connection pin?

12 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

maybe a small cable tie on the wire to stop it sliding back along the wire.

Good idea! I didn't get round to it because the connector is firmly in place and sits well clear. but it's untidy: I shall rectify it.

what we used to do to stop them moving around was to hold them on with silicon as one method, and the other method was to slide heat shrink over the fitting and up the wire approximately 50 mm so it would secure the wire a little bit and allow 15 mm to hang over the end of the spade fitting.  We would then put a split in the heat shrink just near the fitting opening so you could poke the probe up there and slide the fitting on. When everything was heat shrunk it would close around the probe and it wouldn't allow the fitting to vibrate or move backwards or forwards and fall off because the heat shrink was holding it in place. Worked really well

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

what we used to do to stop them moving around was to hold them on with silicon as one method, and the other method was to slide heat shrink over the fitting and up the wire approximately 50 mm so it would secure the wire a little bit and allow 15 mm to hang over the end of the spade fitting.  We would then put a split in the heat shrink just near the fitting opening so you could poke the probe up there and slide the fitting on. When everything was heat shrunk it would close around the probe and it wouldn't allow the fitting to vibrate or move backwards or forwards and fall off because the heat shrink was holding it in place. Worked really well

Top idea however I would like to try something along the lines of the photo I posted above. Its a Narva part so should be readily available (might have to purchase a 100Pk  for about $17 just to get 3 - anyone want to try them??)

the photo you have is the correct part but what happens over time is they vibrate and the tab that provides pressure ends up coming loose and then nothing flops around. You need to stop it vibrating in the first place

Purchase price has risen to $27.00 (with delivery), Tried to find smaller pack size - just for one the price ranges from about $20- 30 + dollars - will stick with the 100 pack for $27.

Anyone like me to send some to try //

Your cost will be mail cost plus $0.30 each (you will need 3 for a Rotax 9 series)

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2021 at 2:57 PM, skippydiesel said:

image.thumb.png.6b7749439e505610b7a414b4eb0637d4.pngimage.thumb.png.adbd9f4f9eb16f332fd7699c14110bb6.png

I have a heap of these - they work very well indeed (no need for ugly amateur solutions). 

These are applicable to anyone using the Rotax style oil/coolant temperature sensors with a disc shaped connector. Anyone interested????

image.jpeg.e3b8c91cfd3cf9a798876f5553d2e1dd.jpeg