Nynja Mystery noise.

Mike Gearon

The 4 wheel strut bolts are tight each side. The U bracket and through bolt pair each side. Is this something others have experienced? Landings are always smooth. Runway isn’t crazy rough, just not as smooth as it will eventually be. Noise started a few days back and curious it’s just one side.

Get a length of clear plastic hose. Stick one end against your ear and start rocking while moving the other side around. In some cases, if it's hard to identify rest the other end opening on structural components to zero in. Sound like some sort of component collapse/on the way out.

• Agree 1

Are you rocking the leading edge, may be rubbing on the lexan screen penetration; there should be a gap around between the lexan and the alloy leading edge tube.  also if you have the fibreglass trim piece at the wing root that may be loose, missing a screw and rubbing / touching on the leading edge.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

What are you pushing on to “do the wiggle”? That may give a clue as to what is squeaking.

The noise sounds like the fibreglass (or plastic) squeaking to me. Look for rivets chafing or for shiny areas on the frame. Check that all the connector bolts are nice and snug. Don't overtighten them or you'll deform the tubes. Also, check that all the bracing wires are tight. There shouldn't be any slack in any of the bracing wires. 

Also, check for corrosion around the bolt connections between the tubes. It sounds like the frame is flexing and rubbing on the fibreglass or the windscreen. You just need to find out where it's flexing. You already know which side it's on, so that's half the battle already.

Just as an after thought, especially check the tube that supports the lower part of the door and the windscreen.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Solved. The left outer U wheel strut bolt makes the noise. I left for a two day holiday convinced it was up at the aft wing bolt. It wasn’t. 

Solved with the counter intuitive decision to have that U bolt loosened. Noise went away. I’ll have it more thoroughly investigated regardless. As the bolt was retightened it was producing a few of these clicking type noises. Replacement of all these bolts as example and it’s coming up on the 500 hour for lower wing strut bolt. All will be replaced. 

• Like 1

I think you can safely tighten that u bolt fairly tight. The cross tube is double walled in that area from memory. It needs to be tight enough that it won't rotate. I had a similar issue on mine that I only discovered after I flew home from testing your airplane. If you look at the very last few seconds of this video as I brake to a stop at the hangar, you'll see the leg swivel a bit.

https://youtu.be/H0FZq3KIp9M