Ozrunways on a Samsung Tab A 7?

Methusala

Under the tree, Dec. 25, Ohh... a new, in the box, Samsung Tab A 7! Instructions herewith," Please connect to Ozrunways ASAP!". 

Has anyone among the august forum membership tried this and, please, what where the results?

I am sorry to say that I have a visceral distaste for Apple and all things IOS. However, the seal is still intact and I am informed that it is possible to exchange (with liberal lashings of extra $$$) for an I-Pad. This option of last resort akin to pulling the red handle thing in the Cirrus roof.

Please help resolve this dilemma. Seasons greetings from Don

• Like 2

Hi Don, and seasons greetings. You don't state the precise model of the Tab A7 that you have received as a gift. As there is more than one model of the Samsung Tab A7 - and trying to find precise product specifications on the Samsung site is a chore, I like to check exact product specifications on the GSMArena site. You can expand on the "Technology" heading on that site, to find operating bands and speed. This helps assist you with the units capabilities. OzRunways may also offer advice as to compatibility and useability of the device with their programme, if you ask them.

Like you, I have a distinct aversion to Apple products, their price gouging, their insistence on Apple-only sourcing and fitment of accessories, plugs, cables, etc - meaning that you're a "captive customer", at their mercy forever, forced to utilise their products, without choice.

But unfortunately, many programmes with a high level of graphics use are designed specifically with Apple devices in mind - and some Samsung programming is definitely deficient. Hopefully, Samsung are improving in that area with their latest offerings.

https://www.gsmarena.com/res.php3?sSearch=Tab+A7

Edited by onetrack

You pay for any thing with an Apple logo and pay and pay and pay. Oz runways has been available on Android devices since 2014. The original was quite deficient but they have well & truly got the bugs out now. Android was at verson 4 in 2014. It is now at version 11 and is superior in almost every way to IOS. iphone and ipad users are very much died in the wool people and will not consider the shortcomings. I have a Teclast 10.1 inch tablet (new last year quality Chinese import $180.00) running Android 10 and it beats the pants of the ipads we have at our SES unit & is far more intuitive in terms of operation. Not only that there are millions more apps available for Android than IOS.

Our SES phones are iphones and there are so many things that I can do with my own personal Android 9 phone that I can't with the iphone SE. 

The basic Tab 7 has 3GB of ram & 32GB internal storage but you can add a SD card up to 1 TB so storage is not an issue. My tablet has 4GB of RAM & 64GB internal storage but 3 GB should be plenty for OZ runways. I run several nav systems, none of which are Ozrunways or Avplan  but that's because I don't like subscriptions. 

• Like 2

Its come a long way on Android but still not fully featured. I carry a Samsung tab A7 as a backup but use an iPad pro 10.5. Everything else in my life is Android but the decision for an apple tablet was driven by the fact the Android tablet ecosystem seems to never get itself sorted, the apps are always kinda nearly there, so I just went with what worked. Also the apple pencil 2 was game changing and finally let me go fully paperless in the cockpit. Best pencil for a tablet I've used hands down, and I've tried a ton in the past.

You might want to consider holding onto the Samsung and getting another (maybe apple) tablet to ensure you have the requisite backup should you decide to go paperless. I know you can use your phone but that sucks to read.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

The Samsung Seems to have all the functions I need for day VFR in a <250 kias machine 

Screenshot_20211229-202707_RWY.jpg

Edited by Jase T
  • Like 2

On 28/12/2021 at 1:58 PM, Methusala said:

Under the tree, Dec. 25, Ohh... a new, in the box, Samsung Tab A 7! Instructions herewith," Please connect to Ozrunways ASAP!". 

Has anyone among the august forum membership tried this and, please, what where the results?

I am sorry to say that I have a visceral distaste for Apple and all things IOS. However, the seal is still intact and I am informed that it is possible to exchange (with liberal lashings of extra $$$) for an I-Pad. This option of last resort akin to pulling the red handle thing in the Cirrus roof.

Please help resolve this dilemma. Seasons greetings from Don

I have a Tab s6 lite (LTE,4G) 10.5" and it works well (love the pen). A bit big for a panel but I either have it in a knee holder, sit it on the seat next to me or give it to the passenger as you don't need it continuously (just point the plane and fly the leg and look out the window to check your position because the GPS is not TSO (but can help)).  For OzRunways 32GB storage can be limiting, I'd go for a min of 64GB.  Mobile Data? Go Telstra every time, it has the most extensive network and despite the claims all networks piggy backing on Telstra are not created equal.

Being an Apple sceptic is a definite sign of sanity.

The biggest limitation IMHO for RWY on Android - for those who have a Dynon setup - is the inability to Wifi the flightplan from OzRunways to the EFIS if you make any changes on-the-fly. That's the only reason I still use an iPad - and probably the reason I'll have to upgrade to a "new" iPad in the not too distant future... 😞

I do most of my flight planning on SkyVector while having a cuppa, then just copy that plan into OzRunways and while warming up, send it to SkyView.

Edited by KRviator

3 hours ago, Methusala said:

Is it best to use mobile data, requiring cellular capability, or is it simply a matter of hotspotting from android phone?

You could do either but hotspotting adds another layer of complexity. Look at hotspotting via bluetooth, if you must, which will leave wifi free for your next gadget, a SkyEcho2 (maybe)

• Like 1

I have both, and I much prefer the android galaxy because it is easier to use. My smart son says that the Apple has more features, and I am sure he is right. But I want less features and easier to use.

Here's the explanation...  every feature requires a command. So you pick up the thing and if you have your fingers touch something, you get some feature you didn't want.

• Agree 2