Goolwa Hangar 1: Jabiru 0 30/12/21

Maybe it was still bouncing, as it reached the hangar? It certainly seems to have hit the wall of the hangar, whilst it was in the air.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe just treat Jabiru landings like a tail dragger three point, ie, minimum air speed on landing and keep the stick all the way back during the roll out. The nose wheel will settle when it's ready.

I did my RA conversion in a J170 & J230 & had no knowledge of any propensity to wheelbarow, lose directional control or specifically keeping the weight off the nosewheel. Keeping the weight of

Every pilot in the world has bad landings. No-one is perfect. It is not embarrassing to go around. I have gone around heaps. It is the approach that must be right to land well. Whenever I do go around

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

From the RAAus database;

"The aircraft took off, completed three circuits and departed the circuit area for flight over Hindmarsh Island to Murray Mouth then returned overhead Clayton. The joined mid downwind 01, completed downwind checks, landed long but had fully landed and deployed brakes when they lost control, veered from the end of the runway and collided with the rear of a hangar as well as a water tank and the door support of a second hangar. The pilot tried to avoid the collision by firstly applying power to power out of the situation but there was not enough lift available so braked again and aimed as well as they could for the gap between a water tank and the door support of a hangar, such that the wings would take the brunt of the force. The aircraft continued on and came to rest in the rear wall of a hangar."

• Informative 3

That report is quite deficient as regards weather conditions and other important contributing factors. Was it an instructor and student on board, or a qualified pilot with a passenger?

"They lost control" - why? There's no reference to wind direction, gusts, temperature, wind shear, and sudden wind direction change.

Why did they land long? - was it because the PIC was a student, and was still trying to get a grasp on landing techniques?

It's a pretty poor report, and doesn't help anyone else trying to learn something from the adverse event.

This is only an extract from the report which is under review. RA-Aus don't investigate these incidents specifically and are reliant on the information provided. The "Under Review" status indicates they have requested additional information which will be published when they have the details.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Informative 1