Goolwa Hangar 1: Jabiru 0 30/12/21

IF you hit a bump with a locked brake it put's a lot of load on the structure...  On grass you hardly need brakes at all unless turning down wind. Locking a brake on sealed runways is likely to blow a tyre on anything that will carry a few people. Air operated brakes are awful. Anti skid a must.   Nev

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, facthunter said:

IF you hit a bump with a locked brake it put's a lot of load on the structure...  On grass you hardly need brakes at all unless turning down wind. Locking a brake on sealed runways is likely to blow a tyre on anything that will carry a few people. Air operated brakes are awful. Anti skid a must.   Nev

The intention was to covey the effectiveness of braking compared to the standard Jab, which slows it down somewhat.

Perhaps a better description might have been "braking effectiveness good enough to lightly squeal the tyres if you were inclined to do so, but in fact never did so."

Despite the "limitations" of the standard Jab brakes, I've not found them a real problem but Differential has got to be better. My  Citabria 7ECA  POH said NOT keep straight with brakes.. Of course they mean on take off as you  certainly use them when taxiing especially for sharp turns near stuff. ( CAREFULLY at low speed). They were Clevelands which gave enough grip to smoke the tyre if you "Toe'd" it accidentally on Tarmac. Nev

• 3 weeks later...

Wheel barrowing can rapidly get out of hand, as the aircraft slows down, the tailplane becomes ineffective at damping out the pitching and you lose control of the bouncing, or get out of synch with desperate elevator inputs to stop pitching (PIO). Prop strike or broken nose wheel is the result.  Yeah, Jab brakes, adequate for taxi but going for flights in a mates Jab 160, I did find it a bit uncomfortable having to reach past the control column. feels awkward if not used to it. I'm happy with my Gazelle's very conventional control positions, namely central stick and toe brakes. Having said that, the Gazelle will never become famous for having powerful brakes....Another thing with the Jab, once the nose wheel lifts, you only have rudder for directional control, this may have been a factor? People do mention nose up pitch and normally left yaw with power application, but to me, you need to have a pretty powerful motor for this to exceed controllability surely? 

Edited by F10
  • Like 2