Savannah autopilot

Luca Milesi

Hi everyone,

In the last 9 months I have managed to put 400 hours into my project.I work full time at my pharmacy and the pandemic doesn't give me much respite.
I have added a couple of pictures of my work.
First I would like to thank you all for the always valuable advices.
And I also have 2 questions:
Has anyone installed a  Rotax 914 in a Savannah yet?
I live in the Swiss Alps and we often have to do more than 10000 feet
I would also like to install a Dynon system with 2 axis autopilot.
Does anyone have any plans on the best solution for the installation of the 2 servos?
Thank you very much for your precious help

Best regards from Southern Switzerland

Luca

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 3

There are several 914 savannahs here in Australia..they seem to go well  but surprisingly not as quick as you think due to the sav being a bit of a drag bucket.

From the AP setups I have seen the roll servo is mounted on the flaperon mixer and the control arm from the servo goes to one of the belcranks on the end. The main stick for elevator the servo is mounted at the connection belcrank point on the elevator

Dear Kyle,

I thank you very much for your kindly answer. You are a great savannah expert and I always gladly read your posts on this site and also on facebook. your help is very important to me.

Greetings from the swiss alps.

Luca

Hi Luca

I have been watching your build as you put up the pictures and you are doing a very nice job. It will be  a very good build.

We can not fly above 10,000 ft here..well its actually 9500 because you must stay away 500ft from the level so a turbo is not such an advantage except for the extra 14 hp

Make sure you use a Eprop as it has been proven that you get a 5kt increase in cruise speed and also slightly better takeoff performance. ICP now have this prop as one of the choices for their factory builds

I will see if I can find some pictures when I get home as I am away at my farm and dont have access to my main computer but I am sure I have some pictures of servo installs on savannahs

Mark

• 1 year later...

Luca, maybe have a look at the 912 iS. To this end go to Vans page and compare the service ceiling of the 912 iS to that of the 912 ULS: It's 4300 ft higher! And this is just because the injection can adapt the mixture to low pressure better than the carburetors. This together with about 1/4 less gas consumed, and no balancing of the carbs. Maybe that's exactly what you need to fly over the alps: better efficiency.

• Agree 1