Your panel

Kenlsa

Here is my new high tech panel for my Colt.  
This plane will primarily be used to ‘shoot down’ hot air balloons in the Barossa Valley and I am installing a skylight and Patrol door for photo shoots 
It was originally set up for night VFR so I decided to cull out everything I don’t need and move it all in front of me.

Referred to CASA requirements and returned it to what it was certified with in the POH.  Added a VSI and ball.
The fuel gauges will be on the left side of the pax panel.

This is no AWACS or Wedgetail so all I need is a Trigg (TSOd) round radio in the centre

All simple….all good

Ken

45A23BE5-2D41-43BF-8DE4-87753DEA7CC9.jpeg

• Like 5

Mounted a Garmin 495 on my panel. First set up, had it sitting quite far out from the panel surface, Had to route the power and antenna cables over the top of the glare shield, then plug them into the unit. I had to avoid the power and antenna cables fouling with the instrument panel mounting structure.This caused a problem in that from the left seat, the GPS unit obscured the alternator warning light. I could still see voltmeter, so this was not a big worry, leaning slightly over, would reveal the warning light. But I saw I could move it over to the left, enough to allow a hole to be drilled in the panel, right next to the instrument panel mounting bolt allowing the Garmin power and antenna plugs, to plug into the unit through this hole, instead of in front of the panel. This has recessed the GPS unit a lot. Relocating the altimeter left, would have allowed the GPS to possibly be recessed even more, but this would have required a re-plumbing of static air pressure tubing, putting this in the too hard basket for a Saturday’s morning’s  work, for now at least. As it is, it looks much better, I can see the alternator warning light and the GPS is more secure. 
It would be nice to design a whole new panel with of course, two flat screens giving me all the info I could possibly want. But the panel would then be worth more than the aircraft no doubt!

So, quite happy with the old steam driven gauges, suits the old “Gazelch Squelch” better anyway.2FE308DC-F629-468D-8F7F-19C17AD1FD46.thumb.jpeg.dbc094b7dd34c78026f96c2d18a77059.jpegThe two cables power and antenna, plugging in from in front of the panel, causing GPS to be mounted far out from the panel. Although not a clear pic, (only one I have now), it can be seen, the cables are not lying over the glare shield, bu are noe plugged in the unit via a hole in the panel. GPS sits much flatter.EDE43704-3004-4965-B9C6-9A83552F0B97.thumb.jpeg.ffe3907be4bb2154572abb756ae74e45.jpeg 

• Like 2

Simple analogue is easy to read and understand instantly & once set up rarely fails. I like a bit of glass but refer mostly to my analogue instruments. I do use the heading ribbon of the glass compass as it is easier to read than the high mounted liquid filled compass and the glass turn & bank, attitude & slip ball because I don't have any analogues for these functions.

This was the panel I built in the Nynja, there are some things to note

1) The layout resembled the panel of the Beechcraft Baron with the flight gauges directly in front of the pilot and the engine gauges in a vertical line in the middle of the panel.

2) The color was chosen for high contrast between the gauges and the panel. This made visually locating any qauge quick and accurate.

3) The light panel background in a cockpit with a skylight and full height clear doors gave off a lot of reflections in the doors and was a PITA for photography.

In retrospect, the light panel in that cockpit had more downside than upside. It works better in my current plane which has a darker cockpit.

E6593317-986D-41F5-A508-50E47EA314B2.jpeg

Edited by cscotthendry
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

IMO matt black is the best colour for a panel with white text where necessary. It absorbs light and has no reflective properties. This is why most analogue instruments are black with white lettering and markings and if you look at most modern motor vehicles the panels/dashboard are matt black for the same reasons.

I ended up also painting the top of the front deck that the bubble canopy covers in matt black. Originally it was just part of the airframe white but the reflection on the canopy was huge and I could hardly see through it at times.

• Agree 1

Very happy with the Foxbat steam driven instruments, plus my iPad more than suitable for a VFR pilot.

Plus,

The DA40NG when you’re not paying for it yourself.

D5E3EAAA-3828-43A2-9DBF-82BB9EA474A5.jpeg

6116C0B3-41B2-4BD3-9985-2FE2C96CB7DB.jpeg

Edited by Bennyboy320
  • Like 2

This is my Thruster panel. I like white as the background, easier on the eye. The instrument lower center is a Grand Rapids Engine Information System. Not only does it replace Tacho, hour meter, 2x CHT's, 2x EGT's, coolant temp, volts, outside air temp plus an aux, it has settable parameters and a warning light should values be exceeded. Not as capable as MGL but cheaper and adequate for a 2 cyl 2-stroke.

ASI front and center.

thruster panel.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bennyboy320 said:

Very happy with the Foxbat steam driven instruments, plus my iPad more than suitable for a VFR pilot.

Plus,

The DA40NG when you’re not paying for it yourself.

D5E3EAAA-3828-43A2-9DBF-82BB9EA474A5.jpeg

6116C0B3-41B2-4BD3-9985-2FE2C96CB7DB.jpeg

Crikey 40 circuit breakers & switches for Africa. I like KISS.

DG-200 glider resurrected after 6yrs storage.  New panel with Open Vario nav, LX S7 vario, Colibri flight recorder.  Yes, I know the yaw string is too far off centre 😏

20210424_140751.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kgwilson said:

…slip ball because I don't have any analogues for these functions.

With ASI, the slip ball is the most important gauge; my 15 year old daughter made my hi-tech version and it’s likely to last decades.

My panel is plywood stained to match the wooden handles (cut from an ancient rosewood log by my dad in the 60s).

It may not be the neatest, but I find it ergonomic. Last week I climbed into my cockpit to do an installation job and it was so familiar and comfortable I almost went to sleep.

EFA16FB0-3ED1-49D7-833C-0317263B2A1C.png

• Like 2

On 04/01/2022 at 2:40 PM, Kenlsa said:

Here is my new high tech panel for my Colt.  
This plane will primarily be used to ‘shoot down’ hot air balloons in the Barossa Valley and I am installing a skylight and Patrol door for photo shoots 
It was originally set up for night VFR so I decided to cull out everything I don’t need and move it all in front of me.

Referred to CASA requirements and returned it to what it was certified with in the POH.  Added a VSI and ball.
The fuel gauges will be on the left side of the pax panel.

This is no AWACS or Wedgetail so all I need is a Trigg (TSOd) round radio in the centre

All simple….all good

Ken

45A23BE5-2D41-43BF-8DE4-87753DEA7CC9.jpeg

Volts?