The Interesting story of the Wicko monoplane

• 3 weeks later...

The closest thing to that design that I've flown was the Auster six . . .though the Wicko looks a little faster. . .  And tbh, I'd never heard of the model prior to sighting the article.

I had to giggle at Wikner's method of getting home to Australia though; . . . .buying a surplus Halifax bomber and using it to fly his family home from England, along with a few fare paying pax to finance the trip  ! !  I'll bet that was a Loooong and uncomfortable ride , , , ,

Phil P.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Here's the story of the amazing Geoffrey Wikner ....

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/5913582/flying-from-england-to-australia-in-a-wwii-bomber/

He was not only a successful aircraft designer, he was also a successful businessman, and he was also a dedicated ferry pilot during WW2, and personally delivered approximately 1000 aircraft during Wartime.

He also flew a total of 67 different aircraft types. No endorsements needed in those days, I guess! "Can you fly this type and model of aircraft, sir?" "Yes, no problem, they all fly pretty much the same!" 

But even prior to that era of the Wicko monoplane - in 1922, Geoffrey and his brother built an incredible race car, called the Wikner Model T Special.

It was built along the lines of aircraft construction - because Geoffrey actually wanted to build an aircraft in 1922, but he couldn't find any financial backers!

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/feature-cars/1205/wikner-model-t-special-(1922)-feature-review

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Informative 2

They certainly knew how to dress for flying in those days but it was for the more wealthy in society. The instructor in a expensive looking suit & tie (probably 3 piece) & dress shoes & the woman in an flash expensive looking fur coat.

• Agree 1

I had a DCA examiner of airmen arrive dressed like that to put me through a flight test for a scholarship. I DID intend to do it in a DH 82 Tiger moth, but when I saw him like that I didn't press the idea. Nev

• Informative 1

Hello Naith, and welcome to the site.

I am a flying nut, and have been for as long as I can remember.   There are many organizations who can offer you a trial flight in an airplane, and advise you of some ways of doing this Sir.  It would be quite easy to select one near where you live.    Good luck, and I hope that you enjoy your first experience of 'lifting into the luft'

Phil.