valve spring sources Australia

RFguy

I might need some different valve springs. There are quite a few suppliers in the US, does anyone have suggestions of local companies to talk to in Australia ?

glen

More info- I have to up the seated pressure by about 7 to 10 lbs without increasing the open pressure too much. 

If I put an extra  shim (washers !)  under the springs under the spacer  against the head,  that would lift the seated pressure-  The springs are approx 136 lbs/inch , so 0.07" would yield 8.5 lbs etc

That might work as long as I dont get a bind situation. have different collet holders on different valves , they are different thicknesses so that will also change the seated pressure for each valve.

ideas and comments appreciated... Glen

Edited by RFguy

Generally I wouldn't advise packing them. An increase of free length would do what you want. Increase of wire dia makes the rate greater. There's a lot in it. Harmonics etc. Conical might have some advantages but you are probably using double springs. Most spring makers want a sample which is fair enough from their point of view. You can only have good springs if they are made from the best wire and heat treatment. Nev

• Agree 1

Hi Nev 

thanks for the input. Yeah, we'll see what Mr Waye has to say.

"An increase of free length would do what you want." yes - that's it. bind wont be an issue. have samples...

Have single springs. I dont think there is an advantage (harmonics, bounce)  at these low RPM for double springs, although a spring failure well yeah but dont hear about too many of those. I'll be guided by the spring doctor.

Edited by RFguy

Conical or progressive helix tightening are for harmonics. Multi springs would have to be in contact to affect harmonics. Continental have three (3) springs. I only mention that in passing.   Most ot the (older) motor bikes I do are double spring but high pressures can cause a lot of problems and are only required on the higher RPM or "fast" (quick lift) cam equipped engines. The cam follower mass comes into this as it has to be kept on the cam profile by the valve spring force. .Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1