Beautiful warbirds

red750

Nice!
I have a (non-aviation) story to add to all that:
A friend of a friend is a successful rally and car race photographer, taking the sort of action pics that end up in magazines, calendars and ads.

At one stage he was also commissioned to take static pics of lovely ladies draped across hot vehicles, and found himself having to source various garments for the project.

Including a pair of bright red stilleto thigh boots, bought very cheaply from a local big box store.

On completion of the shoot, he and his wife put the surplus costumes on TradeMe (which is our Ebay).

And the bright red stilleto thigh boots caused a bidding storm, eventually selling at multiples of the original purchase price.

So they bought some more. And the same thing happened.

And so far as I know, they carried on like this until the big box store finally ran out of stock...................

• Haha 1

That photography is very well done, and the WW2 bathing suits and dresses would raise fond memories for any of our WW2 veterans that are still alive (and that is very few today).

IBob, I was waiting to hear that they made so much money out of the red thigh boots, they were able to afford a kitplane! :cheezy grin:

We just had some entertainment before Christmas, as the DIL was engineering a camping trip away for her and hubby (not having done any camping before).

So she'd acquired a big tarpaulin and was looking for a long ridge pole that was collapsible, for the centre of the tarp to hang over.

She knew exactly what she wanted, but she didn't know what it was called precisely, so she made the mistake of Googling "spreader bar" - and, "images"!

Needless to say, despite being over 40, her eyes were opened to some amazing sexually-oriented equipment that had nothing to do with camping!

She was carrying on about what she'd found, in her search for the ridge pole - and of course, we all had fun, telling her we all knew, what she was really angling for, something to spice up her love life!  :cheezy grin:

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, facthunter said:

Must be something wrong with ME .  I look at the planes first. Nev

I notice you said "first" and not "only".  Still, I think you're a better man than me!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Change of emphasis a bit, but...  Reminds me a bit of an experience I had in the UK in 2018 - before Covid changed the world.  My wife and I went to visit Bletchley Park, the now-famous place where Alan Turing and many others worked on code-breaking during WW2.  It is a fantastic experience to go there, and so much to see and take in that one day is not enough.  It totally blew our minds that up to 9000 people worked there during the war, and it was all kept totally secret until about 20 years ago.  That just could not happen these days.  Anyway, unknown to us, the day we went was a special anniversary of some sort, and dozens (maybe hundreds) of people were dressed up in 1940s clothes and/or uniforms.  The Poms love that sort of thing, as we all know!  There were fly-overs by a lovely old DC3 and a few other aircraft, and it all made the day very special indeed.  If anyone ever does get to the UK again, I'd highly recommend a visit to Bletchley Park.  And right next door is the National Museum of Computing, also a fascinating place to see.  Both my wife and I have spent a lifetime (over 50 years) working with computers, so we were especially tickled to see all sorts of machinery we had worked with in decades past.

The pic is of a statue at Bletchley honouring Alan Turing, depicted with one of the German "Enigma" machines.  Considering his achievements, Turing was treated appallingly after the war, mainly  because of his homosexuality which was in those days considered a crime.  He was hounded basically to death by the authorities.  And for those interested in trivia, the Apple logo is actually a tribute to Alan Turing - he was found dead with a poison-laced apple on the table next to the bed.  There was a bite out of the apple, just as in the logo.  In 2009 Turing was given a royal pardon for the supposed crimes of which he had been convicted, and an official apology was read in parliament by the then prime minister Gordon Brown.

P5261283 Turing sculpture.jpg

Edited by marshallarts
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

In the same vein, this is a fascinating documentary I stumbled across a few days ago. It's a lecture about the theory and development of `Colossus', the computer they built to break the Enigma Code. Some of these guys involved in codebreaking were simply geniuses.  Well worth a look.

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1