YouTube aviation vids in the post-truth age.

Garfly

The truth is well documented in the original video. It takes considerable effort to stop the prop with this type of engine, later it can be seen to be rotating again so the engine was not mechanically broken.  It would have been very funny if Trevor's shoe laces had caught on the door handle on the way out.

• Haha 1

It looked like the landscape was deserted, but what if there were hikers or campers somewhere under him?  What if the crash did start a fire?

And then he ignores the safe landing spots with his chute and chooses to try to get close to the crash.  What if he broke a leg on landing, especially as he didn't get mobile phone coverage?

Overall extremely stupid.  I agree with the analysis and other comments - hope he doesn't fly again.

• Like 2

also, I think he has a handheld radio on him, as you can see that his headset is attached still and flapping around when he bails out. 121.5 would have put him in contact with an overflying aircraft easy enough ( I saw at least one contrail high overhead when he was on the ground )

• 3 months later...
According to the WaPo this morning, he cannot reapply for his license for 12 months and says he might quit aviation altogether because of the blowback.
I don't think he should have been given the option. Deliberately crashing a plane should be a disqualifying act, considered along the lines of terrorism.
There are a lot of stupid stunts carried out for YouTube clicks, but this is probably the stupidest.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

The recent Redbull one is also interesting.

Whilst the Redbull guys may have done a lot more research and testing with safety measures inplace, they still jumped out of working aircraft (leaving them unmanned) with the result being one crashing. All done after the FAA rejected their application to perform the stunt.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RossK said:

The recent Redbull one is also interesting.

Whilst the Redbull guys may have done a lot more research and testing with safety measures inplace, they still jumped out of working aircraft (leaving them unmanned) with the result being one crashing. All done after the FAA rejected their application to perform the stunt.

I hadn't followed up on this stupid stunt by Red Bull. If as you say, one of the two planes crashed, there should be an investigation and repercussions for that as well. Deliberately leaving a functional plane without a pilot should be a criminal act. As I said before, it is little different (imo) to 9/11.

• Like 1

I don't think the Red Bull stunt should be put in the same basket as the Trevor Jacobs affair. There was no specific intention to mislead in the plane swap attempt.  But then, even TJ's multi-cam leap from his 'broken' Taylorcraft, can hardly be called deceptive, given it was so manifestly incredible from the get go - right down to his woeful acting.  A defence could be that it was less un-truthful than post-truthful.  Trump left office with over 25,000 public presidential lies recorded and tabulated by the New York Times. Yet I never once heard him complaining about being called a liar. 'Where's the insult in that?' I guess he'd think. Same with Trevor. The truth-ethic of advertising has taken over all types of public/social discourse.

But I agree with Bertorelli, the Red Bull team came up with a wrong-headed answer when asked by the FAA what the public good might be (some BS about aeronautical / scientific progress, blah, blah). They should just have fessed up along the lines that serious stunting is deep in the DNA of aviation and that a responsibly performed difficult trick can be publicly valuable in and of itself. I reckon that would have been harder to gainsay.

As Flying Mag reminds us:

https://www.flyingmag.com/aviation-stunts-a-history-lesson/

Aviation Stunts: A History Lesson

Almost from the start of aviation, and well before the advent social media, people have been pushing the boundaries of aircraft.
April 26, 2022
Aviation Stunts: A History Lesson

John “Auggy” Pedlar has a seat on the wing. [Courtesy: NASA]

Edited by Garfly

On 26/04/2022 at 10:58 PM, cscotthendry said:

I hadn't followed up on this stupid stunt by Red Bull. If as you say, one of the two planes crashed, there should be an investigation and repercussions for that as well. Deliberately leaving a functional plane without a pilot should be a criminal act. As I said before, it is little different (imo) to 9/11.

So a failed stunt is like using planes to kill 3000 people.

• 1 year later...

Lucky indeed, more a feather than real punishment.

He has lost flight priveledges for life- not long enough, he can still be on aircraft.

Purposely crashing a aircraft with fuel onboard in a fire banned national park ( visitors were banned at the time during fire season ) is not a harmless stunt.

The guys who fight fire there are "fire jumpers" and risk their life everytime.

If his agenda was political rather then YouTube fame, he would be a terrorist.

That does not include destroying the evidence and lying to the FAA. 

10 years seems fair with parole, subject to assessment his ego no longer presents a clear and present danger to the public. A no public media ban for life.

6 months is just free bed and board, he will make a motza talking about it and doing stupid shit. America, where you do criminal shit and can become rich and celebrated.

Infamy lasts forever and is always currency, fame can be fleeting. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1