Camit 3300 reliability?

rnothard

Sorry if this topic has been dealt with but I am looking to purchase a Jab with low hours 3300 Camit and wondered (since Camit is no more - and not supported by Jab??)  if my low hours engine will give me many hundred of trouble free hours. I have 10 thumbs and there is a limit to what I can undertake on engines. 

It will be fine.

just about any/all parts from a Gen 1 (2200 and 3300) will fit and work. Remember that Camit made the Gen 1 engines for Jabiru anyway.

CAMIT has been sold to a bloke in the UK. There is a website for it. They can be used on a Jab Gen 1 as well.

go for it!
Ken

Kevin Hyam, an engineering shop owner in the U.K. is providing parts support for Camit engines. It appears he only runs a small operation, and is no doubt financially constrained, so don't expect miracles.

https://camitaeroenginesuk.com/about

https://jabcamit.groups.io/g/main/topic/78297314#13058

Ian Bent (Camit) made all the Jabiru engines for Jabiru right through to the Gen 3 that I have but he & Rod Stiff did not agree on several aspects of the design. He (Ian Bent) did not like hydraulic lifters or the crankshaft mounted alternator. Eventually the split became permanent & the Camit was born with a belt driven alternator, solid lifters and he introduced a shut down cylinder oil injector to guard against cylinder corrosion & probably a few other mods that I don't know about.

One of the Sierra builders at the same time I built mine installed a Camit while I installed a Jab 3300A. He absolutely loves the Camit. There was a bit of mucking around with the engine mount to accommodate the alternator but with that resolved he's never looked back. 

Unfortunately Ian over capitalised and did not have a big enough market to survive and the rest is history.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

not many hours. the above comments are all good. yeah Camit in England have good options and spares.  what aircraft is it ? find an experienced Jab engine techo. There are people around who know quite a bit, and many who do not. like usual in any industry. I'd say #1 checks are valve clearances and then  and keep the oil clean. change fuel filter. 

Do you know the serial number? I have 0112L which was produced a month or two, maybe three before the demise of Camit. It runs pretty sweet, no signs of trouble after ~250hrs in my Rans S-6S. When mine was built, Camit was already struggling. The highest serial number I have heard of was from someone in South America, around 0121 or so.

Early Camit engines were said to have been fitted with wrong material piston rings and/or fragile pistons, but that would have shown after less than 200 hrs. Ask for maintenance logs, ask if there was any major work done, ask why the owner wants to sell after just 200 hrs.

That would be 33SLRE-64 then, the '5' is actually an 'S'. Never found a decoder ring for the letters, but SL probably means 'Solid Lifter' (which they all are).

The serial number is past the early piston spring issues and before Camit had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for parts. Others may know more about the piston issues, but I'd take that engine any day.

• Like 1

Thanks for decoding the serial number scsirob, and for your vote for the engine. Hartstikke bedankt voor de informatie. Zou leuk zijn om u te ontmoeten in Nederland. Wij varen naar Europa in de zomer van Australia

Edited by rnothard

6 minutes ago, rnothard said:

Zhou look zein om u te ontmoeten. Win vaaren naar Europa in demo RE van Australia.

Sounds like a great adventure! Just let me know when (if?) you are visiting The Netherlands, would be great to meet! Hele fijne reis en misschien tot ziens 😉