This guy needs to take a block of lottery tickets.

In the US, a Cessna crashed into a railway level crossing.

IMG_0819.thumb.JPG.eba9f88c809b989e879daaa1034e6df6.JPG

Fortunately bystanders were able to pull the pilot free.

IMG_0822.thumb.JPG.1f0f342bbc17958ced96c4efcab21ecf.JPG

They managed to drag him clear (circled), as the train approached from the right ....

IMG_0821.thumb.JPG.830a26372b2814564b4d5f4d43c7014d.JPG

demolishing what was left of the Cessna.

IMG_0820.thumb.JPG.cf0e50d6f6aa6ed2944bd35c7f66102c.JPG  

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

8 hours ago, onetrack said:

Train driver - "I ain't stoppin' for nuthin' - we is already 6 mins late!"

Even if he wanted to stop, it’s a big, long, heavy item. 

Spare a thought for train drivers, many of whom have had a front-row seat to tragedy.

My neighbour has had a couple of people calmly step in front of him.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 11/01/2022 at 7:50 AM, Old Koreelah said:

Even if he wanted to stop, it’s a big, long, heavy item. 

Spare a thought for train drivers, many of whom have had a front-row seat to tragedy.

My neighbour has had a couple of people calmly step in front of him.

My brother's a train driver and a while back he's slowing down into a suburban station and sees a crazy-looking guy teetering on the edge of the platform, so he applies full emergency brakes, and sure enough, the guy jumps. Train stops about 3 inches short of the guy, who leaps up and starts abusing my brother for not killing him!!

The other thing that p**ses him off is kids who jump in front of the train and at the last moment roll out of the way. SOP is apply full brakes, pull down the blind, and don't look: there's no way of telling if the train has hit someone. But next thing he sees kids laughing and running off!

Edited by cooperplace
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

My stepdaughters partner is a train controller and you would hardly believe the crap that train drivers have to put up with - nearly all of it recorded on train cameras, or station cameras.

Near-misses are a dime a dozen - people looking at phones whilst crossing tracks, stepping out from behind one train into the path of one going the other way, or jumping pedestrian barriers, trying to beat the train.

Many drivers have had 2 or 3 suicides happen to them, and some drivers have never been able to work again after particularly bad accidents where someone splattered themselves over the front of the train.

Suicides by train are more common than you think, reporting of them is muted, to prevent copycats. The worst ones are the drunken, switched-off idiots who walk into trains.

He said the PTA (Perth) had one late last year. A bloke walked into a suburban passenger train at 10:00PM on the outskirts of Armadale, and the train driver heard the thump and stopped the train, and reported a collision with a pedestrian.

Then the emergency services and police turned up, and none of them, including the train driver, could find the victim. Everyone but the driver, started to doubt if the train had actually hit anyone.

It turned out he'd only been moderately injured, and had dragged himself home without asking for help, or telling anyone. Then someone either spoke to him next day, or spotted him, and told him to get medical help.

So he turns up at the hospital late the next morning - but meantime the emergency services and police have been scouring the countryside far and wide for him, wasting valuable resources.

Of course, he didn't want to notify anyone, because he was drunk, on railway property when not authorised, and he thought he'd get a bill for stopping the train.

Edited by onetrack

It was probably an excellent place for an airport when it was first established - with lots of open areas around it.

The problems come from "Urban Encroachment" as the developers explain why they need to build on all that vacant land, right up to the airport perimeter.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, onetrack said:

…because he was drunk, on railway property when not authorised, and he thought he'd get a bill for stopping the train.

Years ago a drunk took a shortcut across the railway line just south of Tamworth and got his 4WD “bogged” on the line.

I believe he had to pay for the damage to the XPT.

• Like 1