Savannah VG oil check panel

ivark

I did this (not a Savannah) by taping two lairs of HD cling fil to my cowling, over the are where I wanted the inspiration door to be. Then taped the outline of the door to the film. Built up several layers of composite within making tape (doesnt matter if you cover tape). Let cure. Mark & very carefully cut cowling. Cut contoured plate to exact size of hole. You now have a perfectly fitting panel that you can paint & secure in several different ways (be sure to use a system that will not catch air blast/slip stream if left/comes open in flight.)

10 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

No need for the hing

The work is in the cutting/fabrication and fitting of the hatch.

The hinge is simple to fit and neat in action. So, why not?

I burp the Rotax and check oil level every preflight, Marty, I'm sure most do the same.

A hatch makes that quick and easy.

The fastener on mine is Camloc, as supplied with the kit.

A hinge would ensure the inspection flap doesn't get lost, would it not? A hingeless flap could get lost by either forgetting to replace it, or if the retaining fastener let go. And if the flap was lost in flight, there's the potential for FOD.

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, IBob said:

I burp the Rotax and check oil level every preflight, Marty, I'm sure most do the same.

A hatch makes that quick and easy.

The fastener on mine is Camloc, as supplied with the kit.

Yes, I wasn't saying I wasn't going to do it, I was saying it reminds me that I have to do it.