Sold the thruster

BrendAn

With a heavy heart I sold my thruster today. I have only watched other people fly it  the good thing is its new home will be in a hangar with other thrusters so it won't be lonely.  I have decided to do my training in the flying school planes. I can do all training without having to travel.    Thanks to everyone on here for your great advice and knowledge.  

IMG20211231081149.jpg

14 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Sorry to see that Brendan. It will be easier to learn in a low drag tricycle UC type aircraft. Keep posting and share your adventures with us.  

Certainly will t. The other problem is getting a permanent hangar space. Very hard to get down here and for a little plane those wings take a lot of room.

Sorry to see you had to sell it 😞. I have just been through the hangar thing, my CFI is 65km from home and the hangar I have leased for 12 months is 70km from home.  I assembled my machine 2 days ago and will relocate it on Friday. THEN I can finally get it into the air.  Gives me 12 months to build my own hangar and finish strip at home. Rang Floods today my new crate 582 arrives end of March, now……so have  that to look forward to as well.

3 minutes ago, jackc said:

Sorry to see you had to sell it 😞. I have just been through the hangar thing, my CFI is 65km from home and the hangar I have leased for 12 months is 70km from home.  I assembled my machine 2 days ago and will relocate it on Friday. THEN I can finally get it into the air.  Gives me 12 months to build my own hangar and finish strip at home. Rang Floods today my new crate 582 arrives end of March, now……so have  that to look forward to as well.

Thanks jack. At least it's going to a good home . The new owner is going to take me flying when I deliver the thruster.

Sounds like your having fun up there. Will waiting for photos of your flight.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hope to be taking the thruster up to her new home next Monday. Got her pulled down ready to go.  Sad to see it go now. But on the other hand I have started lessons in a Jabiru and loving it.  3 lessons last week and another tomorrow. The only thing that bothers me with the Jabiru is the 70 knot landing speed but I will get used to it I hope.  I have been offered a flight in a thruster when I deliver mine so I will get to experience the thruster at last. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

Hope to be taking the thruster up to her new home next Monday. Got her pulled down ready to go.  Sad to see it go now. But on the other hand I have started lessons in a Jabiru and loving it.  3 lessons last week and another tomorrow. The only thing that bothers me with the Jabiru is the 70 knot landing speed but I will get used to it I hope.  I have been offered a flight in a thruster when I deliver mine so I will get to experience the thruster at last. 

I did a couple of hours in a Jabiru 230 and it flew well for me……not sure about grass strips though, I will be in my Thruster this coming week, weather is looking good for it. Will see how it goes, probably nice and slow which is more to my liking, don’t ever see me in some slick plastic fantastic 🙂.  Brendan, just look to the skies for fun days ahead, no matter what you fly 🙂 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackc said:

I did a couple of hours in a Jabiru 230 and it flew well for me……not sure about grass strips though, I will be in my Thruster this coming week, weather is looking good for it. Will see how it goes, probably nice and slow which is more to my liking, don’t ever see me in some slick plastic fantastic 🙂.  Brendan, just look to the skies for fun days ahead, no matter what you fly 🙂 

Certainly will.  

• Agree 1

Have a look at the PoH as a backgrounder. You can download from the website

My J230 at 600kg, lands about 40-45kts (benign conditions) . 

70-75kts (full flap)   in a 600kg J230 is more like early to mid final  just so the faster planes behind you dont run into you. 70 is a good number so you have a bit of margin over the full flap max flap extension speed.

65 mid final.  maybe 56-60  over the fence if you have plenty of runway to burn

Remember there is a huge stall speed difference between no flaps (57kIAS approx, then  flaps in TO posiiton 47kts ish and landing flaps 40kts ish)   all aloading, CG , dependent etc.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

well, far from me to go against your CFI's recommendation. 

My advice READ the POH  - download from the jabiru website

Read the section - NORMAL PROCEDURES SECTION 4. also read SECTION 3 after you read section four, useful insight.

https://jabiru.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/JP-FM-09_J230-D_POH_Rev6_-25-3-2020.pdf

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, RFguy said:

Have a look at the PoH as a backgrounder. You can download from the website

My J230 at 600kg, lands about 40-45kts (benign conditions) . 

70-75kts (full flap)   in a 600kg J230 is more like early to mid final  just so the faster planes behind you dont run into you.

65 mid final.  maybe 56-60  over the fence if you have plenty of runway to burn

Remember there is a huge stall speed difference between no flaps (57kIAS approx, then  flaps in TO posiiton 47kts ish and landing flaps 40kts ish)   all aloading, CG , dependent etc.

I am only a learner and did mention the only thing I find a bit disconcerting is landing that fast but he said I would not even think about after more air time.  The plane is a j160. Beautiful aircraft. I was impressed with how comfortable it is and smooth in turbulence. A

ahh well, J160 flies  bit faster than a J230. smaller wing.

I still think 70 kts landing is a bit hot for landing , but will depend on conditions , available runway etc

be sure to know if its a C or a D. AGAIN READ SECTION 4 Normal Procedures

Reading the PoH should be mandatory for students ! (in my opinionated opinion) 

https://jabiru.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/J160-C_Section0-9_Rev3.pdf

https://jabiru.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/JP-FM-11_J160-D_POH_Rev2.pdf

beleive it or not, the manufacturer actually knows best....

• Like 1

Thanks RF. It is good to read an experienced pilots perspective.  I will look at the Poh. I have a lesson at 4.00 today.  They also have a 230 which I can hire. The 160 is cheaper and I love flying in it. Must try the 230.

1 minute ago, RFguy said:

ahh well, J160 flies  bit faster than a J230. smaller wing.

I still think 70 kts landing is a bit hot for landing , but will depend on conditions , available runway etc

be sure to know if its a C or a D. AGAIN READ SECTION 4 Normal Procedures

Reading the PoH should be mandatory for students ! (in my opinionated opinion) 

https://jabiru.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/J160-C_Section0-9_Rev3.pdf

https://jabiru.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/JP-FM-11_J160-D_POH_Rev2.pdf

beleive it or not, the manufacturer actually knows best....

It's a c

I am not an experienced pilot, but I strongly suggest... read both Normal proceedures Section 4  for the J160, or J230 , whichever you are gonig to fly.  

it will only take you 20 min. 

The Jabiru PoH manuals are good.

Section 3 is also good.  (EMergency procedures) 

• Like 1

Anyway

good luck with your flying, be sure to post your questions here

there are many tens  of thousands of hours of cumulative experience at this site.

There are pilots on this site who are a full bottle of knowledge and experience. And of course, there are plenty of opinions.

and if you feel like it, share your experiences, good and bad.

One of the things we do here is share our F-ups !  or at least share things we think we might have done better .

We can all generally learn from each other.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

IF you float a log way you are too fast. IF you need a quick positive flare you are too slow. The landing weight of the plane males a lot of difference.. I doubt the accuracy of some of the ASI's is good  enough to call exact indicated speeds. HOW the plane flys will tell you if the speed is appropriate. In the latter part of the approach you won't be looking at the ASI.. . Nev

• Like 1

You will miss out by not learning on the Thruster. It is a much harder plane to fly well than the Jabiru. Just see what I mean by the comments about speed control on landing. From memory the Thruster had one speed 50kts. Climb,descent and cruise. I put mine in a dive once and it didn't go over 70 kts.

• Like 1

Well tomorrow I will find out taking to the air in my Thruster T300.  Looking forward to flying “The Flintstone” hopefully will be soaring with eagles!  At least I won’t be grounded with turkeys!   Taken all the info from the forum and hope my Instructor does not fire me 🙂 

• Like 3