Sold the thruster

BrendAn

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

I often look out at the wings while flying and have never noticed any sign of deformation.  In examples with slack skins putting more curve in the lower battons might help a little, there would be no magic, there never is in aircraft.  

As you know I am only a learner with aircraft but I understand when you say there no magic but some small improvements would surely add up. Why would people design things like wheel spats and strut fairings among other things if they don't make any difference.  A knot or 2 here and there will add up.

2 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

I often look out at the wings while flying and have never noticed any sign of deformation.  In examples with slack skins putting more curve in the lower battons might help a little, there would be no magic, there never is in aircraft.  

On another note. I hope to be going for a flight in a thruster in 2 weeks up at Parkes.  Also having a lesson in a tecnam soon. Looking forward to that. Also going for a tif in a gyro. Might not know anything but I have a few flights ahead of me.👍

Edited by BrendAn

6 hours ago, BrendAn said:

On another note. I hope to be going for a flight in a thruster in 2 weeks up at Parkes.  Also having a lesson in a tecnam soon. Looking forward to that. Also going for a tif in a gyro. Might not know anything but I have a few flights ahead of me.👍

You would be going right past me, drop in and I will take you for a fly as well. Will send PM.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Brendan's Thruster has a new home for now. We have 4 which is probably one too many but for now its great as we have the room.  Two 500's and two 300's. Be nice to have some visitors sometime to see how many we can get in the air at once.  It is near Tullamore NSW and lots of nice dirt strips around.

The interesting thing is how different they each fly. The T300 pictured flies very nicely, except when pulling the power in the flare. The first few times it almost caught us out in how quickly it ran out of the desire to remain suspended.  That is compared to the other Thrusters which really says something. It may be because the skins are not as tight as the others. Still nice though. Engine runs beautifully.  It has a primer which is a great idea.

One T500 tends to roll into turns more than the other but they both fly nicely (for a Thruster.).  

The last t300 we still haven't figured out yet. It is a very tidy machine but it pulls downward when under power. More than what is comfortable. Now we have an additional T300 to compare it to and a certified test pilot, we might be able to find and correct it. Everything seems okay....C of G, aileron droop, angle of tailplane. But someone has done something and it has messed it up. 

As for a training machine, i can see the benefits. They really encourage you to be watching your airspeed and attitude. However an instructor would need fast reflexes or there must be some bouncing i would be think. 

t300brendan.heic

• Like 2

Hi Craig, great to hear you have 4 machines now. We have 4 flying in our Cowra group now with 2 more under restoration. We are flying 2 over for the Parkes flyin next Saturday april 2.  

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Sounds good. Will you be staying there? Only one has VHF at the moment and I haven't checked it, that may be the only issue with being in a flyin unless we meet somewhere outside the CTAF and fly in company. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, extralite said:

Brendan's Thruster has a new home for now. We have 4 which is probably one too many but for now its great as we have the room.  Two 500's and two 300's. Be nice to have some visitors sometime to see how many we can get in the air at once.  It is near Tullamore NSW and lots of nice dirt strips around.

The interesting thing is how different they each fly. The T300 pictured flies very nicely, except when pulling the power in the flare. The first few times it almost caught us out in how quickly it ran out of the desire to remain suspended.  That is compared to the other Thrusters which really says something. It may be because the skins are not as tight as the others. Still nice though. Engine runs beautifully.  It has a primer which is a great idea.

One T500 tends to roll into turns more than the other but they both fly nicely (for a Thruster.).  

The last t300 we still haven't figured out yet. It is a very tidy machine but it pulls downward when under power. More than what is comfortable. Now we have an additional T300 to compare it to and a certified test pilot, we might be able to find and correct it. Everything seems okay....C of G, aileron droop, angle of tailplane. But someone has done something and it has messed it up. 

As for a training machine, i can see the benefits. They really encourage you to be watching your airspeed and attitude. However an instructor would need fast reflexes or there must be some bouncing i would be think. 

t300brendan.heic 5.69 MB · 9 downloads

You have your own squadron now Craig.  Try leaving the thruster in the sun and pull the middle straps tight when it's warm. Might help a bit. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Hi Craig, great to hear you have 4 machines now. We have 4 flying in our Cowra group now with 2 more under restoration. We are flying 2 over for the Parkes flyin next Saturday april 2.  

I didn't get a chance to catch up thruster but will be back up there in the winter I am hoping . Will give you a ring when I am .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, extralite said:

Sounds good. Will you be staying there? Only one has VHF at the moment and I haven't checked it, that may be the only issue with being in a flyin unless we meet somewhere outside the CTAF and fly in company. 

We are just coming for the day. I just have a hand held plugged into the headset. My plan is a tight 500 foot circuit and a good look out. 

• Like 1

Looks like we won't be making Parkes on Sat. Looks a bit breezy on the forecast (doable) but one of us has to be at work Sunday morning in Ballina.

Maybe we could have a bit of a fy/drive in at Tullamore or half way at Forbes or somewhere at sometime. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, extralite said:

Looks like we won't be making Parkes on Sat. Looks a bit breezy on the forecast (doable) but one of us has to be at work Sunday morning in Ballina.

Maybe we could have a bit of a fy/drive in at Tullamore or half way at Forbes or somewhere at sometime. 

Forbes is nice and quite, there are a few locals with Thrusters close by as well. Cowra group should all be up and running in a few months with six Thrusters. Have seen pictures of ten or so Thrusters at Forbes in the good old days.