Antenna Placement

My new Sonex comes with the antenna (transponder & transceiver) locations already drilled.

I have no concerns over the transceiver location, however the transponder has been  located just 500mm away.

My very limited understanding/experience strongly suggests that the two antenna should be no less than 1m apart.

My questions are;

• What is the recommend minimum distance between antenna (particularly transponder/transceiver) ?
  • What effect/impact (if any) might I expect from such close location ?

Skip,

1) the Xponder antenna and the VHF can be next to each other... but  try and keep them at least 2 x  transponder antenna lengths apart to reduce the potential for unwanted  directivity  of your transponder due to the proximity of the VHF .

2) the Xponder ant wont bother the VHF.

3) For 2 x VHF, I'd recommend min of 2.5 meters  and as far apart as practical.

SKip , how can your "limited understanding"  " strongly influence "?? surely a limited understanding should weakly influence your thinking? 

Edited by RFguy

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

Skip,

1) the Xponder antenna and the VHF can be next to each other... but  try and keep them at least 2 x  transponder antenna lengths apart to reduce the potential for unwanted  directivity  of your transponder due to the proximity of the VHF .

2) the Xponder ant wont bother the VHF.

3) For 2 x VHF, I'd recommend min of 2.5 meters  and as far apart as practical.

SKip , how can your "limited understanding"  " strongly influence "?? surely a limited understanding should weakly influence your thinking? 

Limited experience (virtually no understanding) - I installed both transponder & transceiver (VHF) on my Zephyr. Followed suppliers instructions (strong influence) to the letter (including minimum distance 1 m). To my absolute delight/surprise both systems worked perfectly.

Sonex came with antenna location decisions already implemented - hence concern.

Transponder antenna length - its a "blade" type. I assume hight of blade also hight of antenna, so well in excess of your X2 recommendation.

• Agree 1