CASA available VH- marks

rodgerc

They could just reuse the one's that will never fly again. Maybe offer a bounty for owners who relinquish. $1000 should be enough 😂

As for aircraft migrating from VH to RAAus I don't think that will be many. Reforms for private VH pilot medicals could be coming. It will be hard to justify the double standard otherwise.  

There are two levels of control that apply to RAA certificated flyers compared to GA pilots. The access to many airports, the number of passengers, overflying towns, aerobatics, IFR, night VFR. 
This is not a level landing area so the powers to be can have different levels of medical accreditation.

I support the notion of drivers medical for all private flying but I am not holding my breath.

Edited by tillmanr
Added text.

1 hour ago, tillmanr said:

There are two levels of control that apply to RAA certificated flyers compared to GA pilots. The access to many airports, the number of passengers, overflying towns, aerobatics, IFR, night VFR. 
This is not a level landing area so the powers to be can have different levels of medical accreditation.

I support the notion of drivers medical for all private flying but I am not holding my breath.

I stand to be corrected  - my interpretation on the RAA rules;

Access is probable to most secondary airports but may be restricted to certain times eg hrs(?) befor after the twice weekly RPT, befor/ after tower open  hours 

Here was me thinking you could have as many passengers as you can fit in a 2 seat aircraft - the restriction is on the number of seats not passengers 😊

You can overfly a town , as long as you stay above 1000 ft (AGL) and (subjectively) claim it not to be a built up area ie what constitutes a built up area -  2 houses with a town name or 200,000 houses - your guess (lane of entries???.)

Aerobatic limits, Day (as apposed to night)  VFR,  are actually well defined and are not available to RAA Cert holders

I’ve held a GA (CASA and its predecessors) licence for >40 years and a RA-Aus pilot certificate for ~15 years….I fell for the promise of a Basic Class 2 medical being equal to heavy vehicle standard and was then disappointed to find it wasn’t. 

I am a SAAA member and see value in their experimental/amateur builder support, camaraderie, the role of Chapters and TC’s….but I do wish that SAAA and RA-Aus would become more closely aligned and cooperate with each other. 

These days my aspirations seem to be more closely aligned with the RA-Aus model….My flying does not involve NVFR/IFR, aeros, >2 seats or CTA other than the occasional transit. 

I prefer the RA-Aus style of customer service and thus, that is the direction I’ll be heading with my current build project’s registration.

I appreciate and respect others may prefer the CASA license and registration option. 

• Like 2

86 left you say..... (I do believe you, I looked at the list the other week)

What is CASA's plan to keep on registering aircraft then? That's what I'd love to know!

They have to comply with ICAO rules.

Imagine the fun we could have with 4 letters.

VH-MAVV

VH-GOOS

VH-VIPR

VH-JSTR

Years ago when I was looking at buying a motor glider the register of letters had 'NY' in the list.  Gliders are VH-G??.  If I had of got into a motor glider I though 'NY' would be good for personalised apparel.  All the caps and t shirts with 'I love NY' etc would have a great selection.  I didn't get a motor glider and have been enjoying RAAus aircraft.

CASA are heading towards making private and leisure flying of VH light planes transferring to RA, hence the recent weight increase which will flow onto 1500kg’s, covering most of the GA SE fleet! CASA see GA as a nuisance and would love to clear the skies of lighty’s!    

There are 16005 VH registrations today out of 17576 combinations. You can only reserve a mark for one year so we must be getting about 1488 new aircraft in the next year, cool. Unprecedented but cool.