ASI in MPH. Australia. Would you?

My Bushbaby is in MPH too, was built and first registered in South Africa. I will try to get another when I am finally able to use it again.

Garmin is good for knots and ipad also as a back up for checking progress. Long as you know the right speeds it is fine. cessnas hand book is all in MPH and dial in Knts, it is a pain reading pencil scribbles next to all figures.

• Like 1

The ASI is an important instrument, so you might as well get the right one for the job. If you can't get yours converted professionally, I'd sell it or just ditch it and put it down to experience.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rgmwa said:

The ASI is an important instrument, so you might as well get the right one for the job. If you can't get yours converted professionally, I'd sell it or just ditch it and put it down to experience.

It's true it's important, but I'm starting to tilt towards keeping it. It's no less accurate than the KNTS version in operation after all. When I stick on the operating range decals, that's what I'll be looking at. I guess it's true what Einstein said- "It's all relative" 😄

Also heard back from the instructor, he is fine with flying navs in my plane in MPH.

As part of the deal I got, I have some superfluous instruments so I will gauge interest in the classified section. If I get enough for them, maybe I'll still get a KNTS ASI 

Edited by danny_galaga

54 minutes ago, Jabiru7252 said:

Maybe the powers that be will use smoots as a measure instead of mph, kts or kph. Google smoots if you have no idea...

My next ASI will be in smoots. Makes absolutely no sense like most other measurements so it will be perfect.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ClintonB said:

Long as you know the right speeds it is fine. cessnas hand book is all in MPH and dial in Knts, it is a pain reading pencil scribbles next to all figures.

Courtesy of CASA and the great flight manual debacle. Many years ago all aircraft here required Australian-specific flight manuals and ASI's to be in kts so all American airplanes had to be converted. Around 2001 CASA reversed and required all aircraft to use the original flight manual. So, now people end up with ASIs in kts and the flight manual using mph. Airplanes which had been operating for 30 years now had to get their original flight manual - at least one aircraft manufacturer refused to respond to such requests for airplanes that old.

• Informative 1

The Ansett B727s had weight all in Kilos derived from Boeings original LBs which were all in thousands. The derived figures were all kinds of numbers to the last digit. TAA ran the original Boeing weights in Pounds. All rounded to 1,000's. Both Airlines operated in Australia under CASA controlled AOC's.  Air Operator Certificates. You were getting other things like US gallons Imperial Gallons and Litres and Kilos for fuel. It's a wonder we didn't all die.. Nev

• Like 4

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

The Ansett B727s had weight all in Kilos derived from Boeings original LBs which were all in thousands. The derived figures were all kinds of numbers to the last digit. TAA ran the original Boeing weights in Pounds. All rounded to 1,000's. Both Airlines operated in Australia under CASA controlled AOC's.  Air Operator Certificates. You were getting other things like US gallons Imperial Gallons and Litres and Kilos for fuel. It's a wonder we didn't all die.. Nev

Gimli Gliders everywhere!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

What about ' metres per second  ',

IT IS Metric !.

spacesailor

I'm going for dollars because it's motivational; when you've only got two dollars left you better push the nose down or give it full throttle.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, facthunter said:

You are not going to use much of that scale.  The one ona Gypsy Moth is out on the RH side under the top wing and a vane gets blown across a scale. Nev

Even the scale mine is at its a little wide. It's 20-160 MPH. I think the Bushcat cruises at 100 MPH tops. 20-120 would have been better. But what I've got is still more useful than the above scale 😄

Mind you, I'm sure Kasper just grabbed a stock image of the net

1 hour ago, danny_galaga said:

Even the scale mine is at its a little wide. It's 20-160 MPH. I think the Bushcat cruises at 100 MPH tops. 20-120 would have been better. But what I've got is still more useful than the above scale 😄

Mind you, I'm sure Kasper just grabbed a stock image of the net

HI Danny what Skyranger did was set the VNE at 117 kts when it actually passed at 125 kts; this way they could use a 120 Kt ASI which has an better / easier to the eye display rather than the 160.  A great decision I recon.

Regards

Mike

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

One of my flying machines is in MPH, no big deal, a pilot is meant to be able to adapt. I wouldn’t waste yr money and swap it out! ATC might say maintain 90 KTS but they are clueless as to what you are actually indicating!

• Helpful 2

4 hours ago, Flightrite said:

One of my flying machines is in MPH, no big deal, a pilot is meant to be able to adapt. I wouldn’t waste yr money and swap it out! ATC might say maintain 90 KTS but they are clueless as to what you are actually indicating!

Thanks. I have decided on the whole it is easier to stick with what I've got. If ATC (which would probably be Amberley, about the only control area i'll ever be likely to fly near) tell me to maintain a speed in knots it will be pretty easy to guestimate. 90knts is pretty near to 100MPH for instance. My plane won't be able to go any faster, and they wouldn't want me to take my time either so that's probably the only speed I'll have to bear in mind in that regard 😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/02/2022 at 7:40 PM, kasper said:

I think I’ll go for kph for my single seater …. 

Plan ahead; the troglodytes who imposed Miles, Feet and Pounds on the world are rapidly fading from history.

Pretty soon a New World Order will consign medieval measure to the museum.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

Plan ahead; the troglodytes who imposed Miles, Feet and Pounds on the world are rapidly fading from history.

Pretty soon a New World Order will consign medieval measure to the museum.

You should read the Megalithic Yard book on Alexander Thom. He was a Prpofessor of Engineering at Oxford University and  not only discovered the amazingly accurate measurement which was thousands of years old, but how it was carried in control sticks as far north as Skara Brae in Scotland, over many years, reproducing the same accuracy, and why it was used. I still miss the chain, and haven't seen one for forty years, but it was great for accurate fencing. A lot of the imperial measurements linked in with navigation measurements etc, or product handling by humans, like sugar bags, superphosphate bags, bushels of wheat and oats etc, in some case based on animals daily diet, etc but with the industrial revolution we have different ways of measuring, fork lift trucks, shipping containers etc. so we may as well get with the programme. 

• Like 2

They ( they that rule ), missed a great opportunity to chang from the OLD side of the road to the wrong side, (  check why we walk on the left with the misses on our left ).when we were ' locked down ' , they could have chaged all those signs to make us Comply to the french system international. 

My daughter said something deogratry about that..

Remember,  the French changed sides just to spite the poms. ( in their perpemtual war of dominance ).

spacesailor

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Funnily enough, America built vehicles in RHD and drove on the right in the period between the late 1800's and 1908. Some manufacturers were still building RHD vehicles in the U.S., as late as 1915.

It was Henry Ford who changed all his vehicles to LHD, and encouraged other manufacturers to do so, stating that there were obvious safety considerations in doing so - seeing as the early colonies in America had passed laws to drive on the right as early as 1792.

The driving positions and sides of direction of travel are a huge mish-mash, worldwide - and it's not confined to roads and road vehicles, it also applies to railway networks.

If you travel from Spain to France on the train, there's a special border section of rail, where the trains swap sides.

https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

There's often a cry for Australia to go LHD and drive on the right. The change is simply not justifiable at any level, it's only due to some people wanting to import exotic LHD cars.

https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/what-would-change-if-australia-made-the-move-to-lhd/

It always amuses me to hear dyed-in-the-wool Americans who have never left their country, saying, "I could never shift gears with my left hand!"

Funnily enough, I'm 100% right-handed, yet I've had no trouble operating large numbers of machines and equipment where the seating and controls follow no order - and most Caterpillar machines from the 1960's onwards, have the gearshift on the left!

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

The history & politics of why we drive on the left or right are often as much about urban myth as anything else.

Stuff about having your whip (horse drawn vehicles)  in your L/R hand and sward hand on right (poor old lefties).  (Gentle) Men are supposed to walk on the right side of ladies, so as to defend them should they be attacked/insulted (so much for equality).

I doubt the French could give a rats arse about the side of the road the Poms drive on, however I could believe the Poms cared about this sort of trivial / tribal detail and decided on the left, just because they are / were GB and in doing so shot themselves in the economic foot  - look where the British Car industry is today.

What side (or centre) the gear shift/controls are on doesnt matter a jot, you will quickly get used to the vehicle/machine you drive/operate.

By keeping to the dictates of our past Colonial masters we self limit the variety of vehicles that are available to much larger population of left hand drive nations

From my perspective we would all be so much better off, if we conformed to a World standard (preferable left hand drive and metric and ditched local summer/winter clock changes) - just makes sense.

75 countires drive on the left & 165 on the right. All of our neighbours drive on the left. In Europe it is only the UK, Ireland, Malta, & Cyprus. Sweden used to but switched in 1967 as they are part of continental Europe & changing at the border became too much of a problem. None drive on the left in North America but most of Eastern Africa from Kenya to South Africa drive on the left (ex British colonies) but West Africa drive on the right (ex French colonies). In South America a lot of countries drove on the left & in Brasil in the early 20th century they drove on both sides in different districts but changed to driving on the right in 1928 when Portual that used to drive on the left changed to the right. Only Suriname & Guyana still drive on the left.

The only country to switch the other way is Samoa an original German colony. It switched to the left in 2009 to fit in with the rest of Oceania & as car imports came from Australia, NZ & Japan.

It won't make much difference in the future as it is much simpler to have left or right steering wheels in electric cars. I don't think for us & many countries they will ever change now. Gear shifting is becoming a thing of the past & anyway I'd sooner have my right hand on the steering wheel when changing gears & the accelerator near the right hand door. Not an issue now but remember bench seats when anyone in the front could put their foot on the accelerator in a LHD car.

• Informative 2

More interesting is the story of how early aircraft, pre ww1, flew left hand circuits because of engine torque. Then when side by side seating came along, the pilot sat on the left to observe the circuit. And here we are.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

The poms still mount their horses on the left, ( foot on the walkway, ) not on the roadway.

If an English cavalier, had his lady on his right, he couldn,t draw his sword to fend off an attacker .

spacesailor

PS: the poms had One queen for two French kings.

Edited by spacesailor
More added