ASI in MPH. Australia. Would you?

3 hours ago, onetrack said:

I don't use bushels much now, I actually prefer kennings and pecks. And everyone should know that 2 pecks makes a kenning.

You're right on the line the Commonwealth Government used when introducing the Metric system to Australia.

I was at a Meat Industry Conference (a lot of participants had fleets of more than 100 Meat Vans), and one segment was Metric Conversion. We had a Regular Army Sergeant to teach us and he rolled through all the conversions and showed us how "easy it was to remember there were 1000 mm in a metre etc.

He was doing OK until he started giving examples of how silly the Imperial system was. Many of the participants could accurately assess how many pounds a bullock at the saleyards would go, and they could sell it for five shillings a pound, and they could size up a 1000 lb bullock, divide by 4 and know they'd sell it for 250 pounds, so they'd become increasingly restless.

Motivation hadn't come to Australia at that point and you did what your bosses told you, and they were all bosses, and clearly the Sergeant wasn't carrying the room. So the Sergeant reverted to type and told us how silly we were in a series of questions "How many Roods in an Acre?, How many perches in a rood?, how many pecks in a nushell, how many gills in a pint, what is a barrel? and finally someone yelled out "TEN PIECES OF KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN!"

• Haha 3

When I worked for Bunnings in the mid 90's a couple of Americans came in. They were buying up all the metric told they could find- tape measures rulers etc. They told me they were on a fact finding mission. Of course they could have just gone to Canada but I guess the mission either coincided with other work out else it was just a junket 😄

I'm 60, old and ugly. Not bragging, just facts. And here in the States, cars have had MPH and KPH on the clock since I learned to drive in highschool. Every ruler I own and half the tapes have standard and metric. Don't know a single meth freak or pot head that can't eyeball a gram, and every cup measure in my kitchen has standard and metric equivalent marks. Soda is sold in liters, milk in gallons, water in both. Halves, quarters, and eighths, whether standard or metric are natural, and nobody cares how the distance we drive is measured, we just wanna know how LONG it's gonna take to get there. So Android and Siri both tell us distance AND time. And we don't hate the French. At least not the Frys.  We do poke fun of them. We also admire the hell out of your redhead gals, we just can't puzzle out how you blokes have learned to live with them!

Edited by AndyPickles
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 15/03/2022 at 3:07 PM, danny_galaga said:

When I worked for Bunnings in the mid 90's a couple of Americans came in. They were buying up all the metric told they could find- tape measures rulers etc. They told me they were on a fact finding mission. Of course they could have just gone to Canada but I guess the mission either coincided with other work out else it was just a junket 😄

Bunnings were around in the mid 90's ????

• Haha 1

On 09/03/2022 at 7:59 PM, ClintonB said:

I’ve done it in Hawaii, but when you are the only one in a car park moving, it gets confusing with no one to follow. 
l.

Bragger!  not just in Hawaii but in a car park too . I take it the non movers were waiting for your lead, local customs can be confusing.

15 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Bunnings were around in the mid 90's ????

They started off in WA. they came to Darwin JUST before cyclone Tracey which I theorise would have really increased their fortunes. The store I worked at in Darwin I believe was the first Bunnings outside of WA

37 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

They started off in WA. they came to Darwin JUST before cyclone Tracey which I theorise would have really increased their fortunes. The store I worked at in Darwin I believe was the first Bunnings outside of WA

I live , therefore I learn 

• Haha 1