EFB Overheating - Apple only?

Ground rules, NO ARGUMENTS, this is not meant to be an Apple vs Samsung thread or IOS vs Android or Ozrunways vs Avplan thread.

I just want real world info.

So with that in mind;

I recently sold my Ipad pro 12.9 as it was just too big to be practical. It only overheated once, after an hour on a 30+deg day, with a bubble canopy, so I cut it some slack.

I've borrowed my brothers Ipad mini to trial and it lasted 20 minutes on Sunday, 20 minutes on a 25deg day!!! That's not good enough.

I hear comments that Android devices don't have this problem and it's an Apple thing.

Is this true? I'm not an Apple or Android guy, I just want something that works reliably.

I get that both OZrwys and Avplan have better features with the Ipad, but, if it's not actually working due to overheat, they aren't much good, so lets avoid that discussion too, thanks.

So, if you've got an Android tablet, please share your exprience, particularly if it's ever overheated.

Go!

• Informative 1

Never used Android, but I did use Apple. I never had an overheating problem, but I did install ducting to ventilate the iPad. My real problem was that it had to be shifted from side to side to keep it out of the sunlight to stop the glare.

• Like 1

Hi I made an alloy cradle and lined with sticky back felt.  it has holes in back for cooling, not build up of heat.  I have used both samsung and currently mini iPad.  never an over heat problem.  How is you mounting, direct onto panel, in a cradle, may be getting a build up of heat as they do heat up a bit.   Mine is stood off the panel to allow air circulation.  Images in this link  A new Nynja in the area - Page 16 - Skyranger - Recreational Flying

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1

No problems with an iPad Mini, but I have it on a knee mount that allows air that leaks into the cockpit or through the air vent to circulate around it to keep it cool. I suspect it could overheat otherwise if in direct sun lying on the seat, but it's been fine even on a flight up through the red centre and back over the top.

• Like 1

After 2 overheating shutdowns (over about 3 years) I installed a dedicated iPad mini eyeball vent - no problems after that..

My new aircraft is fitted an iPad mini docking station  that has its own forced air supply- yet to be tested.

Places like JarCar sell tiny little cooling fans for computers. Maybe set one up behind your iPad?

Where it’s mounted is important; mine has been mounted in several places in my plane and now seems happy hanging under the panel, in front of the stick. That’s beween my knees and out of the sunlight, a good shady spot to avoid screen glare.

• 1 month later...

Yes important to know how your iPad is mounted. The casing dissipates a fair bit of the heat so if it's flat against an instrument panel that could reduce the cooling a bit. Will watch with interest, I'm planning on an iPad Mini on a gymbal. If yours is overheating on a gymbal or other mount that allows airflow behind the case then that might affect my decision too

Samsung tab a 8".
Never closed down when fitted on the dash of the RANS S6S. 
Same tab on the 140 Cherokee and  it has shut down 3 times, all on 30+ degree days. Two of them when I was doing my BFR.

20211003_080227.jpg

20210731_092549.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

Update,

still haven't committed to buying another tablet. The first flight mentioned above with the iPad mini, it was sitting on the passenger seat or my knee as I had previously done with the iPad Pro.

For last weeks flight to Mt Gambier, I used a Ram mount and it lasted fine, both there are back.

I positioned the Ram mount on my left, attached to the canopy with the suction mount, just next to the vent and had the vent slightly open.

I think the combination of vertical orientation (less direct sun on the screen) and airflow obviously helps, both days it was only 21deg at ground level, and once we got above the cloud we actually had the cabin heat on, so not a direct comparison to the first effort.

I'm still going to buy another tablet in the near future as the borrowed mini is only wifi, no GPS or network connection.

• Informative 1

We had* an iPad mini mounted on a Ram arm mounted in the centre of the panel. It didn’t get any airflow from the side vents and it was under a bubble canopy, but we never had any issues with overheating. 

* sadly now in the past tense… 😔

• Informative 1