best 19 Category GPS

Morning all, looking at a good, simple GPS setup for a 19 Catagory aircraft with an automotive engine in it, being the category its in(19 Amateur Built) i will be limited to the airports i can fly to etc, these thing considered id imagine ipad with AVplan or Ozrunways would be suitable and would save a lot of dollars on mapping subscriptions etc for airports i cant actually fly into.

Would be interested to hear peoples opinions on this, past experiences and what they found work best

Thanks

Rob

I used a Garmin 196 for many years. It is the base model, followed by 296 etc. The 196 is not colour and is reasonably priced. It has Land, marine and aviation  based systems. One thing I did like was the ability to set up top of descent at whatever descent rate you like to arrive overhead at circuit height. It is easy to use and I only wish I hadn't sold it when I sold the plane. I still have a garmin gps 12 which is great, but no map. You can input waypoints and airstrips easily, much nicer to use than the current Garmins like the Etrex.

Any phone with a GPS will provide accuracy up to 10 metres max these days. There are plenty of navigation Apps available for phones & tablets, a number of them free. Some are simple and some more complex. Even free apps also integrate with SE2 ADSB. I use a free one called Airmate. It has all the latest Maps & ERSA which you download free, Notams, Weather etc. I run it on a 10" tablet & on my phone as backup. I also keep a set of VNC maps (a bit out of date) on the parcel shelf as a 3rd backup.

here's my yachting Garmin. I think is was well under a hundred dollars, and it just shows the direction to your waypoint.

I reckon it works well as a backup to ozrunways. My son bought me ozrunways after finding the old map I had been using.

IMGP1053.JPG

• Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 6:38 AM, Peasant_Pilot said:

Morning all, looking at a good, simple GPS setup for a 19 Catagory aircraft with an automotive engine in it, being the category its in(19 Amateur Built) i will be limited to the airports i can fly to etc, these thing considered id imagine ipad with AVplan or Ozrunways would be suitable and would save a lot of dollars on mapping subscriptions etc for airports i cant actually fly into.

Would be interested to hear peoples opinions on this, past experiences and what they found work best

Thanks

Rob

Can't beat a mini ipad. You will appreciate the info at your fingertip weather flying local or xcountry; plus when ever planning trips.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1