GRT Avionics - Australian maps

So, after much back n forth im heavily considering the GRT Sport Ex EFIS with Engine monitor and ADSB in adapter, not overly expensive,  has the synthetic vison and moving map option, my only question is running appropriate software for Australia, finding it hard to get a straight answer on how i go about mapping for australia and suitable synthetic vision software.

any help would be amazing

Thanks

Rob

they have been helpful honestly, I think im more nervous about getting a system that might be possibly limited. i might have jumped the gun on the questiopn but i feel if i throw a line out someone might have a straight down the line answer

Cheers

Rob

All of the WMC, VNC, & VTC charts are free to download by anyone from Airservices website & that also means software developers. They are in pdf format but can easily be converted to whatever the developer uses to build his navigation product. Simples. As I have mentioned on other threads I use free navigation software called Airmate & it always has the latest AIRAC cycle, Charts and full ERSA available & will tell you when new versions are available to download & update.

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

All of the WMC, VNC, & VTC charts are free to download by anyone from Airservices website & that also means software developers. They are in pdf format but can easily be converted to whatever the developer uses to build his navigation product. Simples. As I have mentioned on other threads I use free navigation software called Airmate & it always has the latest AIRAC cycle, Charts and full ERSA available & will tell you when new versions are available to download & update.

Mate,  you are a bloody legend. That is exactly the answer I'm looking for.  So essentially it shouldn't matter what efis with gps I go with, I should be able to use/convert to the correct format etc

Awesome 

Thanks heaps mate. 

Rob

I should have mentioned they are free to download but to reproduce/use for commercial purposes etc then you need Airservices permission. It is  standard disclaimer so no big deal.

When you access details you have to sign the disclaimer. Link is HERE 

True. You have to buy those. Not required unless you are going to the middle of nowhere though & then you don't really need them as a good relief map of the outback will have far better detail.

Edited by kgwilson

• 4 months later...
On 16/2/2022 at 1:19 AM, Peasant_Pilot said:

So, after much back n forth im heavily considering the GRT Sport Ex EFIS with Engine monitor and ADSB in adapter, not overly expensive,  has the synthetic vison and moving map option, my only question is running appropriate software for Australia, finding it hard to get a straight answer on how i go about mapping for australia and suitable synthetic vision software.

any help would be amazing

Thanks

Rob

How did you with GRT? The company suddenly looks good after seeing an S21 RANS build with GRT. It’s Australian maps as my query and was yours…

Most companies do NOT have any australian mapping...MGL is another that doesnt.You have to make it yourself and the process is a huge PIA. I believe Ozrunways has mapping that you can download into the dynons no issue..I would think Garmin would have too but who can afford to have a G3 system..20 to 20k in the dash

Still, GRT looks very attractive with the touch and soft key combinations and a willingness to freely upgrade the touch functions as they progress. Integration with radios and transponders. Inbuilt AHRS. Direct connection to the echo UART ADSB. PFD MFD and a well sorted backup screen.

I see when Mike Starkey went for this. Foreflight/ Avplan offer so much in the way of flight planning and mapping. Good thing I’m going to OSH Kosh. Can really dig into this. Also, asked for a quote based on the Mike Starkey install. We will see what comes back and I’ll see if they are willing to do some map work. 2 systems … Maybe.

A3B3BDED-3862-4568-BC1E-6DB5CBEAE8D2.jpeg

9296831F-E38D-4ED1-B324-A436E5C4AB1E.jpeg

Edited by Mike Gearon

• 1 year later...

Bought a GRT efis ages ago.  came with all Oz terrain, airfields, airspace etc loaded and ready to go.  Top little gadget.  Works like a charm.  Only thing is Airservices having nothing much to do wake up occasionally and shift the airspace around so they can control more of it.  I wan't aware until just now that you could down-load new charts.  Which I will do, directly, and then it should be perfect.

• Like 1

Just because you can download the maps does not mean they are in a format that your EFIS can read.

In fact most mapping GPS manufacturers use a proprietary format that only their GPSs can read.

Edited by BurnieM