Stalls: forward slipping vs skidding turn

Was in a Decathlon with my instructor. I could spin easily from a side slip: the high wing dropped and just kept going. 

In a skidding turn it just kept kind of mushing even with rudder into the turn and the stick back and out of the turn. 🤷‍♂️I probably wasn’t positive enough with my inputs. After what I had heard, I expected to invert with only slightly crossed controls. Maybe I would have in a Cessna. 

Snap rolls were fun. You can see one and the above stalls on Youtube if you search APenNameAndThatA. Not that I recommend it. Baby photos being more interesting to parents. 

I might try an inverted snap roll, but might need to be in an Extra 300. This all has gone from ———- frightening to fun. A couple of sessions ago I was not game to do a power on stall in the Decathlon - as in literally not game. I thought something dramatic would happen but nothing did the next time when I did it.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

Was in a Decathlon with my instructor. I could spin easily from a side slip: the high wing dropped and just kept going.

A sideslip is inherently spin resistant so I guess that you did something other than keep the sideslip straight just prior to the stall?

In a skidding turn it just kept kind of mushing even with rudder into the turn and the stick back and out of the turn. 🤷‍♂️I probably wasn’t positive enough with my inputs. After what I had heard, I expected to invert with only slightly crossed controls. Maybe I would have in a Cessna.

The Decathlon is very docile, there is a sweet spot of airspeed, power, rate of turn and pitch etc where it will aggressively enter a spin with little warning. The Cessna 150 does it much better, trainee instructors would typically go around a couple of turns in a spin if they weren't expecting it.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1