582 electric start wiring for a drifter

Blueadventures

Hi a mate has recently rebuilt his engine (582) in his drifter and upgraded to have a starter rather than pull start. He asked about the start switch as his is always live (mags off and master off; then press the start switch and motor turns. He does not have a wiring diagram for the starter. Would be keen to see the usual wiring for the start system and images if possible of the types of start switches and there location. He demoed his setup and I showed him how my Skyranger Nynja is setup.

His set up has the mag and master switch on the left side console and he positioned his start switch on the right side in the panel.

I believe better to have the press to start switch on the left side somewhere convenient. I did my drifter training and subsequent flying in pull start drifters; so never flown an electric start Drifter. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Cheers.

A starter circuit is simple and always has a relay somewhere to switch the high current.. You could easily put the start button through the Master so everything's dead when the master is off.. The thick lead to the starter remains live unless the battery is disconnected which is what you should do if you're working near the motor.  Don't neglect a thick earth lead with electric starters or you might have some cooked cables and linkages. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Power should come from the master to a push button or key type start switch which then momentarily powers the start solenoid coil (small terminal). Master off no start. Solenoid is between battery and starter, heavy wire.

• Agree 1

Just now, facthunter said:

A starter circuit is simple and always has a relay somewhere to switch the high current.. You could easily put the start button through the Master so everything's dead when the master is off.. The thick lead to the starter remains live unless the battery is disconnected which is what you should do if you're working near the motor.  Don't neglect a thick earth lead with electric starters or you might have some cooked cables and linkages. Nev

Thanks Nev, that's exactly my comments to him.  The engine was rebuilt by a very experienced person.  He may have another person looking at it and I said I'm happy to assist if that falls through. (The mate has helped me heaps of times in the past so more happy to assist/ do the work.  Just planning what is the norm for electric start drifters should it me me that does the job. Thanks and Cheers.