Hard mount points

lee-wave

Has anyone got any ideas where I could mount some 50mm machine guns on the Jabiru.   In the event of an invasion the Jabiru owners group are thinking of a last line of defence ... you know.. something like the home guard in WW2.   

• Haha 1

I don't know of any 50mm machine gun that has ever been manufactured - but maybe you meant .50" calibre?

I don't believe a Jab airframe would be very capable of standing up to .50 cal repeated firings - let alone getting the sheer weight of a .50 cal, the gun mountings, and adequate ammunition, off the ground?

5 hours ago, lee-wave said:

Has anyone got any ideas where I could mount some 50mm machine guns on the Jabiru.   In the event of an invasion the Jabiru owners group are thinking of a last line of defence ... you know.. something like the home guard in WW2.   

I'd put it under the rear fuselage pointing backwards to shoot up the enemy as I made off.

• Haha 1

Take some lessons from the Vietnam War where an enemy without a decent Air Force beat an enemy with the worlds biggest Air Force.

Guerrilla warfare is very effective with the right weapons, and RPG's are one of the deadliest weapons ever invented by Russia - so there's nothing like using their own weaponry on them.

An RPG-29 is capable of taking out most modern tanks with one well-placed hit, usually in the area between the turret and the hull.

RPG's were the most feared weapon in Vietnam, and a single individual can easily get close to enemy equipment with an RPG, to carry out a vast amount of damage.

• Like 1

Perhaps we should be investing more heavily in cyber-defences, because we are very vulnerable to the army of hackers employed by the bad guys. 
We should also resurrect the most cost-effective defence assett Australia ever had: Radio Australia, which gave our perspective to an enormous worldwide audience, but was closed down by a short-sighted LNP government (sorry about the tautology).

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

According to the Australian paper, Ukrainian infrastructure doesn’t rely on too much computing input but steam instead, so much of the country’s infrastructure is still operational.

Also states that European countries are about to send combat aircraft for the Ukrainian pilots to use, with plenty of Mig etc still in some eastern, now NATO aligned  countries. The pilots should be able to cross the border and step straight into them with no conversation needed.

Ken

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, cscotthendry said:

Since the Jabs tend to fall out of the sky, my vote will be for the Kamikaze option … if they stay running long enough to reach the enemy…:roflmao::poking:

Did consider the kamikaze option in the Jab... problem being before you can get up to a suitable speed in a dive the wings fall off.... 

Just noted online

Ukraine government advertising for retired fastjet pilots to come fly their stock of Mig jets.  Substantial benefits offered with comprehensive life insurance for family, friends, pets, free accommodation and funeral expenses covered.

Nix to the story of Ukraine operating combat aircraft. Russkies have a no fly (no take off either) zone over all of Ukraine. Poland, somewhat hopefully volunteered its airstrips. Oh-oh, this would mean that Poland had become a military adversary to Russia giving them carte blanche to attack Poland. If this happened then, Poland, being a member of NATO, the rest of NATO would then be at war with Russia. Didn't anyone in Poland see this coming before shooting their mouths off?

• Like 1