Who's the Beaver expert?

Plane, you smutty old pervs! We are in Whitsundays and I got to see a DH Beaver VH-OHU close up. See pic. I looked it up

http://cqplanespotting.blogspot.com/2016/02/whitsunday-air-services-takes-delivery.html?m=1

and it was built in 1956. It has really modern wingtips and I was wondering when that addition might have happened, and if it was in Australia.

OHU_3.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a list of all the beavers made with their history. I have been fortunate to be involved with annual inspections on #1072 a beautiful clean example of this iconic aircraft. Click on the master index and then serial to see pics of aircraft.  

https://www.dhc-2.com/id634.htm

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

12 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Hi Danny if your driving and coming through Mackay let me know and catchup if you have time.  Cheers and enjoy the Whitsundays.

Thanks. We are jetting home tomorrow. Hopefully the next time we are up this way we will have flown in my own plane 🙂

• Like 1

No. On a boat. It flew past us and landed at the same beach. Later the pilot was on board the boat but I didn't realise so didn't ask him anything.. Fairly young, about 25 (I tend to think these sorts of jobs are normally done by seasoned old pros looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of jet travel)

8 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

No. On a boat. It flew past us and landed at the same beach. Later the pilot was on board the boat but I didn't realise so didn't ask him anything.. Fairly young, about 25 (I tend to think these sorts of jobs are normally done by seasoned old pros looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of jet travel)

Ok, maybe hour builders for new commercial ratings, also considering the covid effect on lesser heavy metal flights.  The new guys need the hours to accumulate even if only single engine.

Back in the day it was calledAir Whitsunday - Biggest beaver seaplane fleet in Australia - from memory two straight floatplanes beavers and three amphibious beavers. Plus twin engine mallard seaplane and couple of buccaneers. 

Edited by SSCBD
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had to look it up !  .

Remember all those ' screaming fans ', all wanting to touch & be touched by a star , 

The one l remember most was the girl who climbed a ladder to get into  bed with her Idol.

When she cried ' statoury rape ' the judge threw her case out,  citing her eagerness to be in the position she found herself.

He was a ' Tasmanian '  and a ' Hollywood ' filmstar !  ( my wifes favourite actor  at that time )

spacesailor

There are several different mods and wings and now available for Beavers, they claim all sorts of advantages but are very expensive. The standard Beaver is a good performer.

It's a bit like all the stuff available for Cessna's with outrageous claims about how good they are.

A well flown standard aircraft will outfly a highly modified machine flown by an average pilot.

If you want to spend lots of money personalizing your aircraft well and good, it's your aircraft.

I do have a chuckle when I see aircraft with gigantic wheels flying in and out of 1000 metre runways 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would appear Nev now they are the latest fashion accessory. You can't call yourself a "Bush pilot" (Whatever that is) unless your wheels rolling diameter exceeds your bank balance. The Super Cub mob are a good example, it seems more a statement than a capability. 

• Like 1

In a certain group it's a required style. Alaska suits it where "over the ridge" is inaccessible by rail or road. Good flaps are part of the deal. When you are used to them, you can land a C-150 in 2 tennis court lengths. Nev

• Informative 1

Funnily enough, I have biggish tyres on my Bushcat. But within reason. They are 8.50-6. Still fairly cheap and will help on slightly soggy/bumpy airfields. I certainly noticed the difference from flying the Tecnam with its standard wheels compared to the Savage Cub with said 8.50-6 tyres at the same airfield. Coincidence because I'm about to post about it in a new thread.

I certainly will never be flying into crazy rocky riverbeds and etc with my plane. The price seems to be exponential on size too. I think my tyres were maybe around $250 each, and those Alaskan big boys are into the 3 figures 😲

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Informative 1