Thruster SG85 AILERONS feel heavy

Tony

Hi all,

I finally finished the reconstruction of my Thruster SG85 single seater, which I never flew before.

Test flight was done by a very experienced L2, who said the aircraft is beautiful, but the ailerons are bit heavy.

I took it up myself and yes, they do feel heavy.

I had a good experience in Thruster T500, Lightwing 912 NW and TW, Drifter, Jabiru 230D and Jabiru 170.

I have never experienced such heavy ailerons in my 350 hours flight life.

The feeling is like something is holding the stick, it goes to center, but I must help it.

The rudder and elevator work perfectly and very nicely to work with.

I am suspecting those push-pull Teleflex Morse Cables, when on ground however, they do not offer much resistance.

Any ideas ?

Tony

I had a Thruster single from 85 to 90 and then got a T500 which I still have. Recently bought another T85 single. There is definitely more friction in the cable system compared to the push rods in the t300,500. The ailerons are also deeper cord on the single but less effective than the t300,500. It is just the nature of the aircraft. When the aircraft is flying there would be more tension on the inner cable increasing any friction. The ailerons in an RV are truly amazing however I still enjoy flying the thruster just as much.

Resized_20220327_174022_9258.jpeg

• Like 2

Do they have any sort of balance weights for when in flight? Moving free on the ground with no airflow might become difficult once 45 knots is blowing over them. I had 12 hours of my initial flight training in a thruster and do not recall it being heavy ( I was a lot younger and fitter then though).

I did not bother yet to move the stick left or right more than necessary, which was not more than 1-2 inches.

I did not try any turns more than 15 degrees. The feeling was rather alarming.

But, on landing there were no problems using the rudder and elevator keeping the wings level.

The landings were actually real good.

Because the Teleflex Morse push-pull Cables are now 32 years old on this aircraft, I think about to replace them.

Thanks Guys for your input !