ADSB Grant Skyecho 2 etc

18 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

It is the output voltage x output amps that determines watts. Output from the charger is around 5 volts so needs 3.6 amps to provide 18watts. i.e. 5 x 3.6 = 18.

Thanks KG; felt I was missing something.  Regards

Mike

Took the new SE2 to Temora for the weekend.

Had plenty of battery for the trip up and back

Below is the track log from FlightAware for the trip home.

image.thumb.jpeg.13b6f0e55cfea02be688f8427701cd4c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Has anyone who has applied for the grant received their money yet. Just wondering how efficient or otherwise the system is. Mine has only been submitted for a bit over a week. It only took 3 days from ordering my SE2 to delivery and I obtained a Hex code from CASA the same day I requested it.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, kgwilson said:

Has anyone who has applied for the grant received their money yet. Just wondering how efficient or otherwise the system is. Mine has only been submitted for a bit over a week. It only took 3 days from ordering my SE2 to delivery and I obtained a Hex code from CASA the same day I requested it.

Nope - and I applied on the day it opened (August 12th), number 24. 

But then it is a gov't department, so..........

Cheers,

Neil

Hi folks,

Just got an email today saying my grant application had been approved!

Now just have to wait for the money to hit my account.

Mine was application number 24 and I applied on August 12th, so hopefully all you others will have yours approved soon.

Cheers,

Neil

• Informative 1

I have been testing my Skyecho2  out locally using the free app "Enroute Flight Planning". Connects automatically to my tablet or phone. Displays a green box with callsign & altitude & track of an aircraft with Mode S Xponder or ADSB out but has a maximum limit of 20 NM horizontally & and 1500 metres (4,921 feet) vertically to reduce clutter.

Most aircraft I have seen are near aerodomes & most have also made radio calls but in a couple of cases no calls at all even when they are within 10NM of an aerodrome. These are the ones to keep an eye on. Then of course there are those without ADSB out or Mode S who don't make radio calls.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Your reference no: ADSBRP000067

Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) Rebate Program - Successful application

Your Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) Rebate Program application was successful. 

If you have not already provided your bank account details in your application, you will need to do so before we can pay your grant. You can download an Accounts Payable – Supplier Details form from the business.gov.au portal, complete it and return to us at the program email address below.

We will notify you when your grant payment is approved.

If you have any questions, you can email us at [email protected] and a member of the team will be in contact with you.

Received the above today - Note that while the application is successful, it doesn't mean that it has been approved for payment! (even though bank account details are required in the application??)

It took 9 days to get from No 24 to 67. So take out the weekend & that is 7 days to approve 43 applications which is just over 6 per day. It theory then they will get to mine (No 244) in 30 working days from now or 6 weeks and a bit over 2 months from my application. This is how efficient our Federal public service is. No wonder flood and fire victims who applied for funding are grumpy waiting years for anything.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Just as a comparison, we applied for a couple of grants from the NSW State government after South Grafton aerodrome was flooded in March this year. One was for road base & gravel & the other for a weed spray trailer totalling 8.5k. Both were approved in just over week & the money was in the bank a week later.

• Like 1

Something I noticed on the weekend when using the Skyecho with a samsung tablet with cellular.

With the SE connected, I lose mobile data, and avplan traffic as a result, also lose weather info, ability to download terminal info etc.

If I disconnect the SE, then mobile data is restored.

What am I doing wrong, or is this an AVplan Android version bug?

• Informative 2

Ross, I don't know if that's an AvPlan/Android version bug but on OzRwys/iOS the SE2 device does not shut out internet access.  This is how OzRwys Support explained it to me:

"The SkyEcho doesn't advertise itself as a gateway, so your iPad will not try to use this as an internet connection. Instead it'll automatically fall back to other available options, such as your iPad's SIM card (if one is inserted) or Hotspot from phone (has to be connected via bluetooth).

So there's no need to disconnect from your SkyEcho to obtain updated weather information or OzRunways cellular traffic. These features and any other cellular services will run in parallel with the SkyEcho connected."

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, RossK said:

Something I noticed on the weekend when using the Skyecho with a samsung tablet with cellular.

With the SE connected, I lose mobile data, and avplan traffic as a result, also lose weather info, ability to download terminal info etc.

Hi Ross,

I don't have that issue with AVPlan on my iPad mini.

Suggest you call AVPlan Support - I have always found them very helpful, or Samsung as it sounds like a device issue, rather than an app issue.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Just got feedback from Avplan;

yes it's an android thing - but they have sent me the directions to fix.

Response from Avplan:

yes, the device sees its connected to Wifi and uses that, only the skyecho does is not connected to the internet. This is an android system issue. One could change the specific Wifi settings so it will use mobile data when connected to that specific wifi.

1.     Go to Settings > Connections > WiFi

2.     Tap and hold your WiFi network name until a menu appears

3.     Click “Manage Network Settings”

4.     Make note of your IP Address and Subnet Mask

5.     Change “IP Settings” from “DHCP” to “Static”

6.     Remove the IP address from “Gateway” so that “Gateway” is blank.

7.     DO NOT CHANGE any other settings. Be sure to leave “IP Address” or “Network Prefix Length” alone. The “Router” setting should be BLANK/EMPTY!

8.     Save your changes. Android should no longer attempt to connect to Internet through this WiFi network.

Edited by RossK
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, the above instructions didn't work, and was actually worse.

When I did the above, Avplan did not connect to the Skyecho, but in the tablet settings it showed the SE connected. So I had no traffic info and no internet access.

I have found a workaround though.

Leaving the IP set to DHCP, the SE connects and shows ADSB traffic on avplan.

Then in the tablet settings, I can select which apps only use mobile data, not wifi. Setting Avplan to mobile data only and I get both ADBS and Avplan traffic and internet access through the mobile data.

It means having to manually set this each flight and reset it to wifi when I get home, not ideal, but it’s manageable.

Another drawback of going Android over Apple.

But, I did 4 hours the other day, with no overheating, so 🙄

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

Hi folks,

I received an email yesterday saying "A remittance advice from the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science is attached",

and then today I actually received the grant payment in my bank account.

So it took just over 6 weeks from application submission to receiving my payment.

Cheers,

Neil

• Informative 2

On 26/09/2022 at 10:23 AM, RossK said:

I have a Samsug Tab S6 Lite using RWY (OzRunways).

I turn on WiFi  on the tablet to see the SE2.  I then go to the WIFI (samsung) settings and disable "Auto reconnect" against SE2 and make sure SE2 is NOT connected.  The samsung/RWY will then see the GDL-90/UDP 4000 info packets from SE2 as well as the internet via mobilenet when the external device setting in RWY is turned on.

The downside is that you need to fiddle to CONTROL (rather than LISTEN TO) SE2. To save confusion I SETUP/Turn On the SE2 via my phone.  

Edited by coljones

On 26/09/2022 at 10:23 AM, RossK said:

Try "Mobile data only apps" Android option. Then scroll down to Avplan and turn it on.

Hope this helps

Screenshot_20220930-081225_Settings.thumb.jpg.b49c6e7e279c776ff9e0b539aefd2afe.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bosi72 said:

Try "Mobile data only apps" Android option. Then scroll down to Avplan and turn it on.

Hope this helps

Yep, that's exactly what I've done. Simplest fix, apart from buying an iPad 🙄

On 30/09/2022 at 8:18 AM, Bosi72 said:

Hope this helps

Screenshot_20220930-081225_Settings.thumb.jpg.b49c6e7e279c776ff9e0b539aefd2afe.jpg

Yes, I can see that but you should turn off "mobile data only" when at home to avoid a big bill when doing AvPlan and RWY data updates. You might also need to check on the need for other apps to be switched to "mobile data only" so you can continue to get data for things like Chrome, Google Search, Google Maps etc when in the air.