Is Australia planning to implement and/or require ADS-B?

A question for all the aviators who have their ear tuned to the trends in aircraft legislation.

Is Australia planning to implement and/or require ADS-B for light aircraft

Do the propose Class E airspace changes impact on the carriage of this equipment?

Have I totally lost the plot?

ADS-B is required for all IFR aircraft since about 2017. At the moment there is no talk of requirement for VFR. Transponder, old mode A,C or better is required for class E unless the aircraft has no electrical system.

2 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

A question for all the aviators who have their ear tuned to the trends in aircraft legislation.

Is Australia planning to implement and/or require ADS-B for light aircraft

Do the propose Class E airspace changes impact on the carriage of this equipment?

Have I totally lost the plot?

As far as I can tell, the Class-E proposal from ASA last year, on the one hand, and CASA's consultations/advisories regarding the 'voluntary fitment of ADSB' by VFR craft, on the other, are definitely related but they do sound like they're being sung from different hymn books.  In any case, nobody wants the Ballina airprox event to repeat, on their watch, as air-tragedy.

AirServices Australia seems - for all intents and purposes - willing to impose proper transponders on all flying machines whereas CASA seems reluctant to impose TSO'd ADSB equipment on bug-smashers (gear that could cost more than the aircraft is worth ;- )  But then, even charter businesses were very hostile to the cost imposition on them which came into effect a couple of years back.

As to losing the plot; well, I reckon it's like an episode of Vera, the plot, by design, is not easy to figure out. The best we can do is pore over what's out there - official circulars et al - and try our best to read the tea leaves. 

For a start, these docs (AFAIK) remain the current (unresolved) thinking:

SUMMARY OF CONSULTATION: Voluntary fitment of ADS-B technology in VFR aircraft

Date September 2018 Project number AS 16/06 File ref D18/25714

https://consultation.casa.gov.au/regulatory-program/dp1701as/results/summaryofconsultationondiscussionpaper1701as.pdf

ADVISORY CIRCULAR AC 91-23v1.0: ADS-B for enhancing situational awareness

Date July 2020 Project number AS 16/06 File ref D20/77240

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-08/advisory-circular-91-23-ads-b-enhancing-situational-awareness.pdf

Flight Safety Australia: Low-cost ADS-B  Aug 7, 2020

https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2020/08/low-cost-ads-b/

One question that has come up here several times - with no clear answer yet - is whether low cost, non-TSO'd (but approved) ADSB IN-OUT gear like the SkyEcho2 might be deemed acceptable in Class E (current high or future low) or even, Class D.   So I was interested in this part (see below) of the "Summary of Consultation" 09/18  (linked to above.)  

It shows that ideas like that have, at least, been discussed and may yet be under consideration. It seems to me that the feds want to get a feel of how the voluntary uptake of affordable ADSB for VFR goes in practice (especially after the government subsidy kicks in).

[THIS TEXT IS A SCREENSHOT IMAGE SO NEEDS CLICKING TO SHOW FULL REZ.]  

1569275196_TSO-C199ClassEorG.thumb.png.14380dd2f4ce83fea48fbd9f81544c22.png

Edited by Garfly
  • Informative 1