Collision Avoidance

Airport regulations are too large to all be in the ERSA. I suspect that if you kept violating councils rules, they could ban you from the airport and that CASA would get you under some general rule about flying safely. Disclaimer: I dont know what Im talking about.

On 13/04/2022 at 2:11 PM, Old Koreelah said:

OzRunways’ scratchpad is quite useful for that.

I wouldn't be dicking about with a Ipad while in the circuit!! 😲

• Agree 3

I fly most days and the last 3 weeks I’ve had 1 aircraft a week near my altitude opposite direction. Flying a few days back and I didn’t bother setting up ADSB in because “nobody else would be flying in this stuff” I was departing airfield and heard an Inbound radio call called ten miles out inbound. Nothing else! I requested more information again nothing and decided there are 360 degrees to come in from! What are the chances? Later…..very surprised to see  the inbound aircraft off my 3 o’clock same altitude and not that far away. 

Lesson………. Always plug in the ADSB in regardless of weather conditions.

Also, there are plenty of aircraft without transponders or they aren’t turned on. Constant lookout.

Off to USA in a few days and flying the next 2 months. GA, Uktralights, Gliders and float planes. IFR training and OSH Kosh. 

Flying GA in USA and all are seen on ADSB in and 10,000ft is just another altitude and not a limit. It’s very nice to see cloud ahead and get up on top of the turbulence without that annoying limit. Airports almost always have ATIS, runway lighting, and an airport car. Just go out and pull the visor down and keys in hand. It might be a rusted out pile of crap and that doesn’t matter. Return with a full tank. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

• 1 month later...

An ATSB investigation into the tragic deaths of four pilots in a mid air at Mangalore has highlighted the limitations of see and avoid. It concluded that a simple traffic information system, SkyEcho2 and EFB tablet etc most likely would have prevented the accident. 

Read it here   https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2022/aair/as-2022-001/

• Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...