XLVG Cabin Cover Pattern

dan tonner

Greetings all;

As summer approaches the Great White North, I am anticipating flights which will have my Sav XLVG tied down, overnight.  I have the fabric to make a cabin / cowling cover but no pattern for my particular airplane. I started this topic hoping to find a Savannah owner who has already been down this road and would be willing to share such a pattern with me.

Fly safely,

Canada Dan

Dan - Punkin Head make a range of covers for a wide variety of aircraft. If purchasing from Punkin Head isn't an economic option (I know shipping is expensive today), then perhaps asking Punkin Head for some detailed photos of their Savannah covers, could provide you with a design start, and maybe some stitching ideas?

https://www.punkinheadair.com.au/ultralights/

Hi Dan, a minor disambiguation of model types, which may help with your enquiries. And put me straight by all means if I have this wrong:

My understanding is that the Savannah models, chronologically, are:
VG = the original, but with VGs, not slats.

XL = ICP reworked the VG fuselage shape at the front, from the seatback forward. The cockpit is wider and roomier, the windscreen has more rake etc.

S = ICP completed the fuselage rework by rounding the rear of the fuselage, from seatbacks back.

I would have said your aircraft was an XL.

However, in searching for a pattern for a cockpit cover you may (also) want to enquire about the S, as your cockpit area is identical to the S, apart from some very minor rounding of the fuselage above the seatback.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

IBob and Onetrack:

Thank you for the replies:

Dianne McNamara at Punkinheadair sent me this photo of a cover (along with another fitted to the older model Savannah VG). She was very helpful and spoke of a newer type cover fabric called WeathyerMax Surface Guard which is touted to be lighter weight, has a knitted polyester liner and has superior waterproofing and breathability characteristics. All for $640.00 plus shipping.

It gives me a good place to start.

All the best, fly safely,

CanadaDan

IMG_0679.jpg

• Like 1

On 28/04/2022 at 12:53 PM, IBob said:

Hi Dan, a minor disambiguation of model types, which may help with your enquiries. And put me straight by all means if I have this wrong:

My understanding is that the Savannah models, chronologically, are:
VG = the original, but with VGs, not slats.

XL = ICP reworked the VG fuselage shape at the front, from the seatback forward. The cockpit is wider and roomier, the windscreen has more rake etc.

S = ICP completed the fuselage rework by rounding the rear of the fuselage, from seatbacks back.

I would have said your aircraft was an XL.

However, in searching for a pattern for a cockpit cover you may (also) want to enquire about the S, as your cockpit area is identical to the S, apart from some very minor rounding of the fuselage above the seatback.

In North America, the Savannah XL was designated XLVG by the then local dealer.

Hi eightyknots;

I've attached a link to Transport Canada's  "Listing of models eligible to be registered as AULAs"   

Listing of Models Eligible to be Registered as Advanced Ultra-Light Aeroplanes (AULA) (canada.ca)   

Under ICP, you'll notice there is the "Savannah"  (with two listings reflecting different MTOWs), the "Savannah VG"; the "Savannah VGW" and the "Savannah S".

There is no "XL"   or   "VGXL".       But,   that's Canada.

CanadaDan

• Informative 1