RAAUS Hour Building - Career

Hello All,

Apologies in advance as I'm certain these questions have been asked many a time.

I am a fresh PPL holder, flying GA aircraft, looking to hour build for a career in aviation (eventually earning my CPL).

I'm wondering what my options are with regards to hour building in a LSA or any RAAus registered aircraft? Will the hours I do count towards say ATPL in the future? Will I be allowed to log them in my current logbook? How would an future employer look at these hours?

I've searched all over the internet but haven't found a definitive answer to some of these questions, so I turn to you wonderful people...

Thanks!

Edited by cheeseman

RAAus hours count towards GA licence hours except if you do an integrated CPL course and seek the reduction in hours that way. There are multiple views on this so don't take no for an answer. Flight time in command counts regardless of what you are flying and should be logged in a pilot logbook.

ATPL has different rules where there is a requirement for GA hours but I am not sure what the numbers are.

Edited by trailer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

I suggest you ask CASA in writing ( unless someone here thinks that that could do more harm than good) 

Good luck getting an answer, they will refer you to some reg or other and you will have to sort through 9000 pages of legalese.  I have never got a straight answer from CASA.

• Like 2

They are looking for Command Multi Engine and pressurisation and turbines. Also they don't want you to be too old. At 25 I was on the limit. It's a game of chance. My Uni qualifications helped.  Good luck. Nev

• Like 1

RA hours definitely count. 

As for what employers want, I think most would prefer GA because that's what most of them operate. I spoke to one potential employer and asked if he had any issue with most of my time being RA, he said he was fine with it but wanted me to get some time in the aircraft his operation uses as well, which makes sense. 

• Like 2

My daughter went thru this about 4 years ago. At that time, CASA (may their name ever be blessed) modified the regs just prior to her recommencing her training.

We were in contact with a CASA (may their name ever be blessed) rep about this very topic.

Basically you can put up to 100 hours of PIC time in a 3 axis RAA aircraft (microlights need not apply) towards a CPL, if you are doing the 200 hour CPL (non-integrated???) course.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Do you have a reference for that? I have never heard of such a regulation and I've read all the ones that pertain to flight crew licensing. 

The current law says:

Part 61.

61.590  Aeronautical experience requirements for grant of commercial pilot licences—aeroplane category

(1)  An applicant for a commercial pilot licence with the aeroplane category rating must have at least 150 hours of aeronautical experience that includes:

(a)  at least 140 hours of flight time as pilot of an aeroplane; and

(b)  at least 70 hours of flight time as pilot in command of an aeroplane; and

(c)  at least 20 hours of cross‑country flight time as pilot in command of an aeroplane; and

(d)  at least 10 hours of instrument time; and

(e)  at least 5 hours of instrument flight time in an aeroplane.

(2)  Any of the required aeronautical experience that is not completed as flight time as a pilot must be completed as simulated flight time in an approved flight simulation training device for the purpose.

(3)  The cross‑country flight time required by paragraph (1)(c) must include a flight of at least 300 nautical miles during which a full‑stop landing is made at each of 2 aerodromes not within the flight training area for the aerodrome from which the flight began.

(4)  The flight time in an aeroplane required by subregulation (1) must be completed in a registered or recognised aeroplane.

61.010  Definitions for Part 61

recognised aeroplane means an aeroplane:

(a)  that is on the register of aircraft kept by a Contracting State; or

(b)  that is a State aircraft.

I don't know whether RAA numbers aircraft is a State aircraft..

Regardless, keep flying and build experience.

Start studying for all 7 CPL exams.

In parallel get as many as possible ratings such as: tailwheel, formation, aerobatics, retractable, mppc, night, instrument, in a VH aircraft and the numbers will get you there. 

Cheers

In my view formation flying is something belonging to a bygone era, related to bombing. It's unnecessarily risky as you rely a lot on others doing the right thing. Pressurisation  C/S props and basic turbines might be more appropriate.. Instruction is a good learning and skills gaining process but ideally Instructors should have a lot of experience or it's not fair for THEIR students.. The organisation should mentor the Junior Instructors adequately.   Nev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bosi72 said:

The current law says:

Part 61.

61.590  Aeronautical experience requirements for grant of commercial pilot licences—aeroplane category

(1)  An applicant for a commercial pilot licence with the aeroplane category rating must have at least 150 hours of aeronautical experience that includes:

(a)  at least 140 hours of flight time as pilot of an aeroplane; and

(b)  at least 70 hours of flight time as pilot in command of an aeroplane; and

(c)  at least 20 hours of cross‑country flight time as pilot in command of an aeroplane; and

(d)  at least 10 hours of instrument time; and

(e)  at least 5 hours of instrument flight time in an aeroplane.

(2)  Any of the required aeronautical experience that is not completed as flight time as a pilot must be completed as simulated flight time in an approved flight simulation training device for the purpose.

(3)  The cross‑country flight time required by paragraph (1)(c) must include a flight of at least 300 nautical miles during which a full‑stop landing is made at each of 2 aerodromes not within the flight training area for the aerodrome from which the flight began.

(4)  The flight time in an aeroplane required by subregulation (1) must be completed in a registered or recognised aeroplane.

61.010  Definitions for Part 61

recognised aeroplane means an aeroplane:

(a)  that is on the register of aircraft kept by a Contracting State; or

(b)  that is a State aircraft.

I don't know whether RAA numbers aircraft is a State aircraft..

Regardless, keep flying and build experience.

Start studying for all 7 CPL exams.

In parallel get as many as possible ratings such as: tailwheel, formation, aerobatics, retractable, mppc, night, instrument, in a VH aircraft and the numbers will get you there. 

Cheers

Thanks! I double checked this, these regulations are only for integrated courses. The 61.010 clause about recognised aeroplanes is entirely absent from the equivalent experience requirement section for those doing non-integrated courses (61.610), which would indicate that RA hours are fine for those students. 

Good one for spotting the difference !

Not trying to be a CASA lawyer here, but their website says:

...If the condition is that you must fly a certain aircraft type, it must be recognised or registered...

Then the table below lists the differences in hours.

image.thumb.png.aa9bbe36a121396f9d28ee52b1d42065.png

Regardless, the CPL flight test will be in a VH aeroplane (the flight test form have pre-written VH- in registration box) and it is also  good to have an experience before the test.

Also a number of LSA aircrafts are on VH register, maybe that was the reason why former Soar (and some other schools) have LSA aircrafts on VH register.   

Let us know the official response.