Air space above Palmyra (YPYA) proposed to  be in  Class D controlled with a lower limit 1500 ft.

Any pilots that have been to Palmyra YPYA or travelled the area are asked to support the local area with a reply to this proposed change that is considered unnecessary and I believe is an airspace grab that will have a detrimental effect to our flying due to the below mentioned reasons.

I'll obtain a better link as been unable to find on CASA or Air Services webb sites.

Airservices are trying to have the air space above Palmyra (YPYA) to  be in  Class D

controlled with a lower limit 1500 ft above Palmyra; instead of the E LL 8500 that

it currently is.

Aviation State Engagement Forum

For the attention of Queensland members

A number of papers have been submitted that seek feedback or provide information for upcoming activities: 

• Proposed change the Class D lower limit to the west of Mackay.
  • Proposed change to overland permanent military flying areas (R559,R639).

Please see the posts on the AvSEF website for further information and to provide your feedback.

Draft reply

This proposal has many bad safety issues for VFR aircraft within the Kinchant Broardcast Zone.

There are many VFR aircraft this are operate in this area, both GA and Raaus.

Between the 3 airfields, Palmyra (YPYA), Turtle Park (YTPK) and Marian (YMRI), I would estimate as many as 45 aircraft are permanent at the 3 airfields.

We also have many visiting and flyover enroute aircraft that land at Palmyra (YPYA) or over fly; or transit close-by to the airfield.

If they are forced to fly under 1500 ft, then we will end up with a much higher density of aircraft compressed into a lesser area of airspace. This could become a safety issue.

If they are forced to fly out past the 11 nm step, then this is pushing aircraft up close against the mountain range which regularly generates strong rotor and other types of turbulence during at least 75% of the year.

It is preferred that the airspace is left in its current status, further considering its current SFC-3500 using CTAF 132.05.

It is also disappointing that myself and others have by chance become aware of this engagement.  I would expect that your organization would have made contact with the airfield at Palmyra via the ERSA listed contacts and other information you have on file, and also considering how hard it is to find information on your webb site due to its formatting software and its poor search engine.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Agree 1